Help...my tank looks milky...

Yesterday my SPS looked like they were bleaching a little so I raised my pendant light up a bit. Checked ALK (9), CA (440) , Nitrate (0), MG (1440). Just to be safe I did a 3 gallon water change.

Just got home from work to a tank that looks like someone poured some milk into it. Corals are under obvious stress... Fish seem fine.

Could this be a bacteria bloom? Tank has been up and running for at least a couple of years (although I've only had it about 7 months). Have been having a lot of trouble stabilizing DKH and CA.

Any ideas? I would be so appreciative....

Off hand all I can think of is check nitrates but I know you checked that. You may have an algae bloom. Phosphates? Can't see it being the lights since it was so all of a sudden and your coral turning a bit white ahead of time. Your roommate playing an April fools joke?

I would change all your filter material. I think the charcoal may be your friend here.

Edit: check your skimmer

Edited by Bry

I rechecked my nitrates still 0... While doing this I noticed that my Xenia seemed to be melting away. I pulled the rock with the largest Xenia out and removed the Xenia. Changed the carbon filter that I put in yesterday then filled a polybag full of carbon placing it in the center compartment of my biocube. Also did another 3 gallon water change - this was all the saltwater I had left...looks like it's off to Austin RCA tomorrow.

Do you have a lot of snails or anything that could possible be breeding? It kind of sounds like your tank is a bit spunky. It happens to mine occasionally when my snails are spawning or corals decide it is breeding seasons. Though, the corals tend to close a bit, they don't show signs of stress. They just expel their little buddies.

It looks like it was a case of the Nuked Xenia. I placed my turkey baster close to the larges clump of Xenia and a milky substance just filled the baster....that's why I yanked it out and threw it away. Since Friday I've changed the water 10% daily. I had my water checked at AquaDome Saturday and all of my params were good so I guess that means it was a toxin expelled by the dying Xenia. Anyway, water is clear again...Acans and Zoas are back to looking good. Toadstool still hasn't extended it polyps but it is still firm so I think it'll be ok. I think my SPS is gone though. I'll leave it in the tank for a while to see if anything extends, but it's almost completely white :) My candy cane's look really bad too. They have a "crackled look" . I guess at this point all I can do is wait and see.

Thanks everyone for your help.