Light Acclimating Suggestions

Jessie

Use deer/bird screen. I ran some tests with a lux meter awhile back, and here's what I found regarding the light reducing effects of some common materials:

• solar screen (40%)
  • egg crate (15-25%, depending on the angle of incidence)
  • deer/bird netting (5%)

By layering bird netting , you can get the light blocking you need to start the acclimation, then remove a layer every 3-5 days to gradually allow more light through to the tank. You can find it for 10-15$ a roll in the outdoor section of HD or Lowe's.

I like Derry's approach verus reducing the amount of time the timers are on, not that that won't work. You can get lux meters pretty cheap and that will give you an idea of how much you've changed your light levels and Dana Riddle did a good article on measuring light on AdvancedAquarist.com that included some conversion factors for lux to PAR depending on the bulbs color temp and wattage.

I bought my lux meter off of eBay for $20. Reducing the photoperiod doesn't work as well b/c it doesn't reduce the intensity of the lighting. You can get a sunburn in only 30 mins at midday in July, right? Same with your coral - sunscreen works better than trying to guess when to get out of the sun before you get lobsterized. :lol:

That's where the light meter comes in. If you take a reading off of the old bulbs, then a reading off of the new bulbs, you can calculate the difference to figure out how many layers of netting to use. Of course, I figured all of this out AFTER installing my new bulbs. :lol: I put on five layers in an effort to play it safe, then pulled a layer off every five days. Took almost a month, and probably overly conservative, but I didn't have any coral trouble. I'll be more accurate in my layering next go-round.