Drip rate on Ca Rx

Derry

Ok, this is really starting to bug the crap out of me. I posted about this awhile back, and I've tried several of the recommendations, but I STILL can't get the drip rate from my calcium reactor to stay consistent. Here's the breakdown:

• Knopp C reactor
  • Milwaukee CO2 controller
  • AquaLifter pump feeding the reactor
  • Pre-filter on the feed pump intake
  • Needle valve between the pre-filter and the AquaLifter

What on earth could the problem be? I've got the needle valve on the input side of the reactor, so calcium buildup on the needle valve can't be it. I've got a prefilter before the needle valve, so detritus buildup on the needle valve shouldn't be the problem. I've checked for calcium buildup clogging the outflow line, but that's not it. I'll set the drip rate at 2/sec before going to bed, and the next morning my drip rate is ZERO again.

So much for set-and-forget,

Derry

Maybe the pump isn't strong enough, does it have enough head pressure? Is that the recommended pump for the reactor? The problem must be in the pump if there is nothing restricting the flow besides the valve.

You will very seldom ever get to set it and forget it, I still have problems out of mine....seems like a constant battle keeping it running sometimes. My problem is with my co2 regulator.

I think that you should try a different pump, 30" of lift isn't much. The lift rating is also a rating for the pressure that it can create and it may need a bit more pressure to push through the reactor and past the needle valve. What kind of pump are you using for you tank? If its a centgriugal pump sometimes they have an extra 1/4" port on the pump head that is perfect to connect to things like Ca reactors. There may be another way to plumb it in even if using a submersible pump if that is an option for you. Your main pump will supply the pressure needed to keep it flowing.

I have had the same problem and its why I took my CaRx offline and put two part back online this past weekend. Best advice for getting it to run consistently was to set the drip rate a an almost steady stream of drops and using ARM media, set your pH control for 6.7-6.8. Burns more CO2, but having the effluent valve open that wide prevents the vessel from vapor locking which is what is occurring. Your pump is fine until the CO2 pressurizes the reactor. CO then vaporlocks it when you have the valve open to a slow drip. Open that sucker up and let it breathe!

All i can say is dont give up on CA RX yet, i have a MJ1200 running mine and it pushes the water about 6' total, but there isnt any realy height to it. A reactor is the only natural way of stability in a reef tank, nothing can duplicate it. JMO Try a pump

I took my valve off compeltely and the water runs wide open, but I think that might be overkill for a smaller tank. Derry something else you can try is to open the valve more but only run it during the lights on cycle. From what I understand if your Ca reactor can keep the alk where you want it only running while the lights are on that is perferable. There corals aren't uptaking Ca while the lights are off (this is only what I have heard). This way you aren't pulling down your ph to much during the lights off cycle. You have probably noticed that naturally your ph drops at night and running the reactor makes it worse. If you speed up your flow and run it less you may have less problems from it getting clogged and possibly vapor locking. +1 on what Mike said, could very well be the cause..it makes sense. If the pump doesn't have enough head pressure to overcome the co2 pressure that is being introduced to the reactor that could be the problem. Now on the other hand if you speed up the flow it might let the pump operate better, at a steady drip or small stream does it seem to work properly?