Media Basket with Chemi-Pure Elite and PuriGen

2 smallish Percula

cleaner shrimp

sharkhead Goby

large Hermit crab <-- going away

CUC

Stock lighting with new bulbs

5-10 gal water change weekly

I am looking to move from FOWLR to mixed reef. I think I am ready to move toward corals now. I am comfortable testing water in FOWLR set up and understand the chemistry. Unfortunately with corals the more I read on testing and what is important to test the more confused I get. I bought an API calcium and carbonate hardness test, all the readings were within range. I just don't think these test are very accurate. I am looking at Hanna Checkers and thinking of buying:

HI 713 PHOSPHATE TESTER

HI 98103 pH TESTER

HI 755 ALKALINITY TESTER

Will these three in addition to the normal FOWLR test be sufficient to keep corals alive and thriving? Am I buying the wrong testers or too much or potentially testing things that do not matter? Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Starting out, the basic test kits to have are pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. But if it is an established tank, you really are beyond the ammonia and nitrite testing phase (unless something goes wrong).

Regular water changes will keep stuff like calcium, alk, magnesium, etc in the proper levels. Now if you start getting into calcium hungry corals like SPS, then you might start watching your calcium. At that point you might be starting to think about Rosing extra calcium, magnesium, etc. Then the good general rule of thumb kicks in that is you dose it, you should test it.

I want to stir the pot...why do we need an alkalinity test meter? This question has burned in my mind after seeing them come to market.

The drop titration test, extremely repeatable and adequately accurate for our purposes is one of the easiest and quickest tests. What true benefit does an alkalinity checker actually give to ones husbandry?

With regard to the poster's original query, I would recommend the phosphate checker. USe a titration test for alk and forget a pH test. If your alk is right, you pH will follow.

I want to stir the pot...why do we need an alkalinity test meter? This question has burned in my mind after seeing them come to market.

The drop titration test, extremely repeatable and adequately accurate for our purposes is one of the easiest and quickest tests. What true benefit does an alkalinity checker actually give to ones husbandry?

With regard to the poster's original query, I would recommend the phosphate checker. USe a titration test for alk and forget a pH test. If your alk is right, you pH will follow.

I use the Hanna Checkers b/c I don't have to count drops, titrate anything or watch for color changes. For the Alk checker, I just zero the meter with tank water, add in 1mL of liquid reagent, press a button and there is my reading. It doesn't get easier than that unless you had a drop in probe.