What kind of light?

KarenM

I have a 40gal tall tank that's been set up for about a month. I'm ready to look into some lighting (I currently just have the generic light that came with the hood). The tank is 12" thick, 30" wide, and 24" tall. I'd like to have a good variety of color and texture. What type of light should I look for, and how much can I expect to spend?

Thanks,

Karen

It totally depends on what type of corals you want to keep. If you want to keep SPS you will need either T5 or a Metal Halide. Actually I would recommend going with either of those no matter what you want to keep now because if you change your mind later you will already be set. Their are some nice T5 units or you could get a MH pendant.

I agree with Gkarshen...getting a MH. I bought my nano AP24 with the stock light/hood combo but later found out that I need to upgrade my light to keep SPS and clams. So I end up spending ~$250 for the sunpod MH. Now i have no use for the stock light hood combo...

Well acutually i just started a softies and fishes only tank and used the orginal AP24 hood as my lighting. It works out fine now. But I would definitely invest in MH. You will see a major difference more intensity and a true blue/purple glow if using a 14K or 20K bulb. It really awesome with better lighting, your fish and corals will definitely appreciate it! Oh Drfoster usually have very good deal.

Great! thanks for your help. I'll start shopping around for an MH. What's your opinions on skimmers? I just have the small tank, and probably will not upgrade to a larger one. It's in my living room so I'd like to keep it somewhat presentable.

I've done a tiny bit of research on sumps and think that might be a good way for me to hide all the equipment, but the prices are way out of my reach. I hace a spare 20gal tank, but have neither the time or the talent to DIY a sump. Do you ever see "used" sumps for sale here in the classifieds?

Great! thanks for your help. I'll start shopping around for an MH. What's your opinions on skimmers? I just have the small tank, and probably will not upgrade to a larger one. It's in my living room so I'd like to keep it somewhat presentable.

I've done a tiny bit of research on sumps and think that might be a good way for me to hide all the equipment, but the prices are way out of my reach. I hace a spare 20gal tank, but have neither the time or the talent to DIY a sump. Do you ever see "used" sumps for sale here in the classifieds?

you might want to check craiglist...you might be able to find one. I use a sapphire protein skimmer for my tank. There lots of good reading about to skim or not to skim on reefcentral.com . If you are heavily stocked, a skimmer will help. But if not just do your regular water changes weekly. That is the best way to it i think...

I would say definitely get a skimmer. It would not be hard to convert your 20g into a sump. All you would need is something to make a bubble trap. Either a couple dividers or a bubble tower where your overflow hits the sump. The only thing is a good skimmer isn't cheap either. I would do a lot of research on which skimmer to buy and read some threads on RC where people have compared skimmers. There are some out there that are crap so be careful.