Refugium to Sump Question

absolut_racer

I have a Precision Marine R24 Refugium that holds protein skimmer, heaters, reactors, pumps, etc. I would like to remove the refugium section to possibly have a little more room. By removing the first baffle, would the flow increase? Also, would I need a sponge or anything between the second and third baffle to eliminate any microbubbles? I have included a sample pic of the refugium below. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

post-1007-0-62669500-1295377657_thumb.jp

Looking at the image you posted, your water level in the skimmer area will be much lower if you remove this baffle, it will be reduced to the height of the second baffle and yes, a sponge would be a good idea regardless if you leave the first baffle in.

I have the same sump (basically) Sara. Mine has a bigger return area. The 1st baffle doesnt set the water height at all, the 2nd one does where the teeth are. Also check the skimmer height, i had to build a stand for my skimmer to raise it to the proper height. Give me a call if you want.

After comparing it to mine, you could run the water level as high as you want with the first baffle removed. When I power off my pump, it siphons back to about 1" above the far right baffle. I dont like this as anything "floating around" in the center sump area could get into the return pump chamber....If I lower the water level so it doesnt do this it sucks air into the pump while running(water in pump area too low). Im going to get a piece of acrylic and raise the height of the far right baffle to "keep em' seperated!"

P1010465.jpg

Edited by DerrickH

In reference to your question about whether the flow would increase: The flow would increase in the sense that you would be passing more water by volume/time through a smaller chamber of water. This is a good equation for micro-bubbles. What size return pump are you going to be running?

Looking at the image you posted, your water level in the skimmer area will be much lower if you remove this baffle, it will be reduced to the height of the second baffle and yes, a sponge would be a good idea regardless if you leave the first baffle in.

This is a very valid point. You will want to look into the water level requirements that your skimmer will need in order to perform the best.

Edited by Michael Rodriguez