New SPS Tank in Georgetown (150g)

olaggie01

Got a couple of packages in the mail today. Sump, plumbing parts (although not my gasket) and my top-off tank. Expecting my LEDs later today when FED-EX delivers.

Sump:

Has a bit of a bow to it, but I suspect it will straighten out once I get water into it. Plus, I'll only run the water level at 12" or so.

636f97bb.jpg

Sump in place:

Fits nicely with just enough room for my return pump

0df1d878.jpg

Plumbing parts:

2" true union ball valve, 1.5" TUBV, couple of 1" ball valves and a 2" gasket for the sump

9cae6667.jpg

Top-off tank with and without lid:

Thinking about installing a uni-seal on the bottom with a piece of clear acrylic as a sight glass

f9a6fcb5.jpg

12ae6459.jpg

Overflow bent on one side:

7b64c9c8.jpg

c45f9953.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always add a plastic dish with four inches of sand and place it behind the rock work. This way your wrasse could sleep in peace.

Thanks Clint. I think I may do that, but we will see if I get a wrasse that requires a sandbed.

Got a 2nd package from Fed-Ex today. This time it was my lights. They were packaged perfectly. Only 1 optic fell off, amazing, considering I've seen our Fed-Ex guy throw our boxes up to the porch. This package was a bit heavy, so I doubt he could have thrown it far, but he could have played soccer with it.

Top of LED array with fan and project box with wire connections. Each array has at least 1 fan and a project box to connect to the main supply box.

bfbaffc1.jpg

Here is a picture of the small project box with the military style plugs

b6194c29.jpg

All 4 drivers are housed in this project box, as well as the power source and an on/off switch. Very nice and compact.

6cbcfe5e.jpg

This picture shows the lines coming out of the project box, 3 larger wires are for connection to each of the LED array. The 4 inputs are for dimming via the 0-10v through my profilux.

2e6c2dce.jpg

Here is the inside of the project box. The other side of the project box is the same, 2 drivers mounted on the project box.

31640d4a.jpg

Very clean looking setup. Your builder did a very good job. cool.gif

I agree. Only thing is that on the 12 LED fixtures, I can't control the blues separately from the whites. Maybe down the line if I add another 24 LEDs, but until now, I can only dim the entire fixture.

Got the lights up on the tank yesterday and picked up the Snapper pump. Just need to finish the overflow box and pick up some 2" pvc to feed the snapper so that I can start on the plumbing.

Here is an iphone photo of the lights on the tank. As you can see, the iphone does an excellent job of picking up the brightness of the light.

5dfcc1a8.jpg

Also, here is the layout again with the completed LED fixtures. I think I may need to widen it a few inches to accommodate the T5s.

07ff5160.jpg

For some reason, something is really slowing me down on this build. I wonder if I can grab a picture of it next time I see it.

Ahh, the elusive, time/money sink makes an appearance outside in the garage.

IMG_7004.jpg

And a little more normal shot:

IMG_7008.jpg

• 1 month later...

I installed the movable rack yesterday and have the fixture in the correct position for the new tank. Just need to move the new tank into the office, which should happen this weekend if it doesn't rain.

LED hung:

da4fb359.jpg

Rock for foam background:

87684d16.jpg

Also had to re-do the overflow box since it was leaking. Got the plumbing done and am disassembling to move to the office.

Minor setback today. Tried to move the tank across the yard, and figured that the grass was dry enough from the rain this weekend but I was wrong. Got the tank loaded up into the back of the truck and started across the yard, only to make it through the gate and have no traction.

But I did get the overflow re-siliconed and the background put on. I even moved the 40g over since the 150g will be in it's place, albeit on Sunday instead of today.

7066cbae.jpg

40dde19c.jpg

So with the help of some friends, we got the tank moved on Sunday. It wasn't too bad with 4 of us, with 2 of us it is a bit heavy.

And Rieston says "Yyyyeeeaaahh"

cf6c2f33.jpg

but one problem, not enough water yet.

And Rieston is unhappy again

75b2dc6c.jpg

So begins the time consuming water production in a cool winter evening.

Got some of the rocks into the tank and filled them with all the SW I had on hand.

f52cfd37.jpg

3f4cfa90.jpg

Got the sump installed with the pump and drains

24b1032a.jpg

Here is the initial aquascape. This is looking from the top on the left side.

8201cece.jpg

I have some LR that I'll be adding once I break down my 40g, but I like how it is so far. I have some other ideas about the back wall.

9bde6b57.jpg

00521e58.jpg

af0ead0b.jpg

Got the LEDs up as well, hopefully today I'll have the profilux back running.

84058688.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this tank switch has not been nice to me. I lost my pygmy angel the other day when the power went out and things have been going down hill since then. Thought I lost my wrasse when I moved tanks (but luckily he survived).

About 90% of my SPS are gone, and I don't expect the other 10% to make it. Tank is too new I'm afraid. I used about 20 lbs of LR that I had in my 40g but I suppose it wasn't enough. I was hoping to have both tanks up and running for a longer time to allow the switch to be more gradual, but it didn't work as planned. The 40g was going down hill and I needed to make a decision and get things into the 150.

I suppose the next few months I'll focus on fish and getting things stablized along with building the skirt around the tank and the bookshelves. School has started up again and I've got several work trips already planned for Feb/Mar so that should help the time pass. Perhaps by the summer I'll be ready to start with SPS again.

I have had this annoying drip from one of my double union ball valves on the return plumbing so I figured I would take it apart and re-lube the threads and o-ring with silicone grease. And when I got the intake side apart, low and behold, I noticed that I was missing an o-ring. Guess that is why the ball valve was leaking. I called US Plastics and they are sending me a replacement o-ring. I can't believe I didn't notice it when I was installing originally.

The O-rings tend to fall out of those things often. You can probably get an O-ring from a local hardware store. I always keep a couple extra in the garage just in case I loose one.

If I have time I might swing by HD and see what they have.

Well, thanks to the poor weather last week, I still haven't received my replacement valve. UPS told me that "adverse weather conditions" were affecting deliveries (as I was looking outside at a 75/sunny afternoon), and they didn't know when it would be delivered. Checked this AM and it is out for delivery. Good thing too, cause I'm getting really tired of looking at all my sump parts thrown across the room.

• 1 month later...

Got 3 orchid dottybacks from Michael on Saturday. Doing great. Adding some nice color to the tank, but I wanted some more. I placed an order from Live Aquaria yesterday. Getting the following;

Flame Hawkfish (Fiji/Tahiti) , Qty:1,

Emerald Crab (Quantity discount has been applied.), Qty:3,

Spotted Cardinalfish (Indonesia), Qty:2,

True Percula Clownfish (Singapore) - Medium, Qty:1,

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Indonesia) - Small, Qty:2,

Convict Tang (Fiji) - Medium, Qty:2,

Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish (Caribbean) - Medium, Qty:2,

This will give me 4 PJ cardinals, 2 true percs, 3 dottybacks, 2 convict tangs, 2 pygmy angels and a flame hawkfish. Should be set for a while now. Need to start stocking up on my corals next. Tank has stabilized as well.