Possible new build

migs

I am thinking about starting a new tank... Possibly connecting it to my establish reef tank... I was thinking of a specialized tank and seahorses were the first to come to mind... Has anyone had any luck with seahorses and what is your setup?

The other option is doing a very small tank.. Very low bio load and filtration... Maybe some flaming prawn gobies, sexy shrimp, etc. I guess I would need to do bare bottom to see these gobies. Or could you do a bare bottom sea horse tank?

Anyone have any luck with flaming prawn gobies or have other suggestion of somewhat rare and unique fish alternatives? Thanks.

Hey Migs,

I have kept seahorse for 2 years now and have successfully raised erectus fry just recently. Yes, seahorses MUST be fed at least twice a day, and have near pristine water conditions. They do best in a species only tank, but I have had mine in with mandarins, gobies or anything that is non-competitive for food. My biggest glitch for ponies??? VACATION!! I had to have someone come in twice a day for the entire trip, and I went away 3 times this summer!! But still, for me, it is worth it. I love when they look for you, swim to you, and they are so peaceful. If you ever change your mind, and will go into more detail.

Sill question... Is there anyway to do any automated feeding setup... I guess it would be difficult with frozen food. Do seahorse eat dry food? The two feedings a day is what scares me... Amazing you are able to do it and successfully raised fry!

Sorry Migs...they do not eat dry food and the auto-feeder with frozen foods will not work for obvious reasons...:D They are so rewarding though...my routine is in the morning, I defrost 3 cubes, turn off the filter and skimmer and just have the Korlia running...I put the food in and let it rotate for about 30 minutes before I put everything back on. I do the same at night. Now, honestly, I do not do as many water changes as I should, but I have a super CUC and a good skimmer that pulls in alot of nasties. You just have to take a little more time in feeding, and I get up a little earlier so I can do that. I have 5 pair in a 55g. You should have 15g to a pair, so I'm stretching it right now. Some are a little younger, so I can get away with it. As far as raising the fry, that is a headache!! It is a full time job, but for my first time with erectus and not being prepared, these 3 that are 2 months old are a blessing!! I had another batch born on Thanksgiving morning (HORRIBLE timing), not able to work with them as well, and lost LOTS. But so far again, I saved about 5. It will get better and I am determined!! Let me know if you ever have any more questions.