Thinking of getting a profilux controller

Big Clay

If anyone has experience with them let me know what your thoughts are on them. I was planning on getting a Profilux plus 2 beginner pack and a 3 unit dosing pump. Feel free to chime in if you use a different brand of controller. I am looking around and just want to get the right one for me.

I know someone on the board who had one, but he just sold it, going to an AquaController III instead.

IMO, unless you are running a large (commercial or 400G +) system, they are overkill for the everyday user. Sure they can dim ballasts, but is that really needed? Are your corals going to grow faster/be more colorful because of it?

Sure they have their own dosing pump module, which is hundreds more than getting BRS 1.1 mL pumps and having an ACIII/Apex control them.

It's been my experience that once systems like these get tons and tons of features, more and more of them aren't used. I consider them the same as software. Every time any new software is released, it'll say things like, "With 100+ new features!". Most users don't know what 99 of them do and never use them. Is it great marketing? Yes. Does it really help me? No.

Considering the price of the profiluxes, I'd rather spend less and get something that is more of what I need, and has a better interface - i.e a neptune apex.

I'm not saying profilux is a bad product, I think its overkill for what 99% of us need.

I agree. It is a little overkill, but then again, 99% of things in this hobby are. I have one and I'm going to upgrade to the P3 when I move tanks. I would add the 4th dosing pump since you never know when you will need it. I currently dose alk/ca and have done water changes in the past using the other 2 channels. I will likely run my ATO through it when I set up my next tank along with MB7 or vodka.

Let me know if you need any help. They can be a little tricky.

I know someone on the board who had one, but he just sold it, going to an AquaController III instead.

IMO, unless you are running a large (commercial or 400G +) system, they are overkill for the everyday user. Sure they can dim ballasts, but is that really needed? Are your corals going to grow faster/be more colorful because of it?

Sure they have their own dosing pump module, which is hundreds more than getting BRS 1.1 mL pumps and having an ACIII/Apex control them.

It's been my experience that once systems like these get tons and tons of features, more and more of them aren't used. I consider them the same as software. Every time any new software is released, it'll say things like, "With 100+ new features!". Most users don't know what 99 of them do and never use them. Is it great marketing? Yes. Does it really help me? No.

Considering the price of the profiluxes, I'd rather spend less and get something that is more of what I need, and has a better interface - i.e a neptune apex.

I'm not saying profilux is a bad product, I think its overkill for what 99% of us need.

The reef God has spoken. I think I'll sell mine now and go with what he recommends.