Feather Hitch Hicker!

cyrus

This little guy, not much bigger than 1cm was found hosting one of the crinoid stars I got in today. Unfortunately no crinoid lobsters or crabs that commonly host were visible :D But I haven't read anything on shrimp hosting. I carefully loaded the lil guy into a seringe backwards and placed him back into the respective feather he fell out of. He scooted right back into it but I have a feeling even with the feathers protection he will still become lunch in my tank... Has anyone seen these before?

IMG_0664.jpg?t=1287594525

IMG_0659.jpg?t=1287594990

Cool!

"The Featherstar Shrimp (Periclimenes amboinensis) is a commensal shrimp species that belongs to the family Pontoniinae. The commensal crinoid shrimps are difficulty to identify from one another without microscopic examination. Using a photograph to identify this species is not 100% accurate and hence the species illustrated could possibly be one of its close relations such as Periclimenes ceratophthalmus and Periclimenes cornutus. The colouration of this species will match its host crinoid and it normally has some horizontal banding. The body of this shrimp is elongated with thin and long claws. It is a tropical shrimp species found on crinoids throughout the western Pacific region and has been recorded in Australia, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and Thailand. It is often found living on the featherstars Oxycomanthus bennetti and Comanthina noblis. The Featherstar Shrimp (Periclimenes amboinensis) grows to a maximum length of approximately 2cm. "

post-9-017859700 1287599610_thumb.jpg

Edited by JimD

Crinoids are absolutely beautiful. What's the feeding regimen?

Right now spot fed cyclop-eeze mixed with coral frenzy. In addition it is reccomended that you stir the rubble in your sump as they feed off the detrius also.

Also! I found a crinoid lobster! It was on the other feather! :sick:

IMAGE_161.jpg?t=1287794747