DIY Sump / Refugium for Dummies

Jessie

my project this weekend is to drill, plumb and set up a sump / refugium. Mark has convinced me to drill my tank. I think I have that covered. However, i have a few questions as usual. :)

I have a 30 gallon tank and a 15 gallon sump.

what size hole should i drill?

how do i prevent my substrate from draining? (screen?)

how many holes do I need?

where is the ideal location for the holes? (bottom, back?)

what size pvc should i use?

should i brace the holes in any way to prevent cracking?

Im assuming a shut off valve should be used?

anything out of the ordinary im forgeting?

thanks guys

OK, for your tank there are quite a few different types of overflows, each with thier own pros and cons. You'll need to research and decide on what type of overflow and your placement. The type and placement will determine the placement and size of the holes you need. <BR>For the sump you can drill or not. I prefer not to as it's one more place for leaks to occur. Sump and or sump + refugiums have many different designs with thier own pros and cons as well. You may want to check out Melev's Reef which has a nice section explaining how a sump works as well as going through design. <A href="http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html</A><BR>

Err...drain the tank, take everything out, then drill it. No way would I ever drill a tank with anything in it.

Prof is a good local resource for this type of thing as well.

lol, of course. that would be a huge mess. I see where this originated from. Im unsure how to cover the drain holes. do i need an over flow box or a screen? I just placed a call into proof also

Err...drain the tank, take everything out, then drill it. No way would I ever drill a tank with anything in it.

Prof is a good local resource for this type of thing as well.

Check this out.........

So I've traveled with the mysterious Prof you mention. We have certainly drilled many a tank with water in it. Never liked it because of the "OH GAWD WHAT NOW" moments that could happen. However we have drained them to below the bulkhead and away we go...

Ah, perhaps some pics of placement of your sump would be helpful? I'm not sure why you are drilling anything?

• Do you have an overflow?
  • Is it internal or external?
  • Is the sump located under the main tank or someplace else?

Feel free to look at my setup on my blog (or come up if you like)

Regards,

Dave