Free South American Puffer

Salty Jeff

Since I am GIVING Ralph, my puffer, away for free I have decided to be slightly pickier. I don't have the capability to keep up with several tanks so I am trying to get down to just one.bye.gif

He "grew up" in a 29g Biocube and is pissed off that he's in a 12 now (waiting to move to an 8). He eats from your hand, has a great personality and is always down for some bloodworms. He is pretty passive though and doesn't eat snails...weird I know. Ralph was also bullied by the other puffers I had, so he needs to be in a low aggression tank.

If you have a tank ≥29g, I will deliver him to your house so I can make sure he's going to a good home.

This is what he looks like: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/Puffers/Images/AmazonPufferWFPu_Ap4AP.jpg

email [email protected]

Do you know if it can it be acclimated to saltwater? I have a freshwater GSP puffer that I acclimated to salt a couple of years ago that is doing great. If it can be acclimated to salt I could rehome it for you, I have 2 puffers that live in my 40 gallon refugium.

Do you know if it can it be acclimated to saltwater?

No, brakish at the saltiest. I've give him a salt dip before when he had ick. He started to float so I quickly got him back into fresh water. That was months ago so clearly he's fine.

Most people say the GSP puffers are only brackish too but there are a few people out there they have them in full marine and they are very healthy. Usually GSP puffers only live about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs in captivity and mine is already 2 years old living in 1.025 salinity. I've read that they live longer in marine conditions b/c most of the diseases they get can't survive high concentrations of salt. If I were to drop him right in my tank it wouldn't be good, that is why you have to acclimate them slowly so that they can get their flotation under control. I acclimated mine over a couple of weeks but I read that this could be done overnight.

After a little reading about them I'm confident it would be fine, they come from the same place as the GSP and they have the same body type and size. But if you don't want to try it I completely understand, I was very apprehensive about putting my puffer in full marine but now 2 years later I'm glad that I did. He looks like a ping pong ball with fins....

post-1255-002806300 1286209827_thumb.jpg

Most people say the GSP puffers are only brackish too but there are a few people out there they have them in full marine and they are very healthy. Usually GSP puffers only live about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs in captivity and mine is already 2 years old living in 1.025 salinity. I've read that they live longer in marine conditions b/c most of the diseases they get can't survive high concentrations of salt. If I were to drop him right in my tank it wouldn't be good, that is why you have to acclimate them slowly so that they can get their flotation under control. I acclimated mine over a couple of weeks but I read that this could be done overnight.

After a little reading about them I'm confident it would be fine, they come from the same place as the GSP and they have the same body type and size. But if you don't want to try it I completely understand, I was very apprehensive about putting my puffer in full marine but now 2 years later I'm glad that I did. He looks like a ping pong ball with fins....

Me too.

I have 2 GSP's (green spotted puffers) in a reef tank and they are more vivacious than ever. (They started in 1.003 SG)

They are at least 3 years old now.

As long as the transtition is gradual, it is beneficial to the puffers.

However, I have never heard of transitioning a Colomesus asellus into full marine, only slightly brackish ~1.005.

Edited by nemirn

However, I have never heard of transitioning a Colomesus asellus into full marine, only slightly brackish ~1.005.

Me either. Anyway he is on his way to a brakish tank on the southside as we speak. Thanks for the interest.

Sold.

Jeff thank you so much! Ralph is buzzing around with his bew buddy full of brine shrimp, just as happy as can be. When I introduced him into the tank, Egor swam right up and looked at him with his big eye and they stayed together all night. This morning both were playing in the plants with each other, hunting for breakfast :doh:

Jeff thank you so much! Ralph is buzzing around with his bew buddy full of brine shrimp, just as happy as can be. When I introduced him into the tank, Egor swam right up and looked at him with his big eye and they stayed together all night. This morning both were playing in the plants with each other, hunting for breakfast :doh:

That's so awesome. I'm sure he was lonely in that tank all by himself. Thanks for taking care of him.

Jeff thank you so much! Ralph is buzzing around with his bew buddy full of brine shrimp, just as happy as can be. When I introduced him into the tank, Egor swam right up and looked at him with his big eye and they stayed together all night. This morning both were playing in the plants with each other, hunting for breakfast :)

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

OK, this is as good as i can get for the moment. The camera I borrowed is worse than mine, which I'm going to try to rumage for tonight, so my old iphone had to suffice. I really love watching these two play. Both have no interest in the Dragon Goby that's been chilling there trying to bulk up, and start the transition to marine. They only bicker during feeding time, when it's everyman for himself lol. With the new addition (Ralph) Egor has started to eat more, and finally started bulking up. He's severly disformed, and has a small pinprick of an eye, with a normal eye that he can see out of. Again sorry for the dirty tank, and the bad pics.

post-1346-035255400 1286576820_thumb.jpg

post-1346-064256400 1286576852_thumb.jpg

post-1346-052698300 1286577099_thumb.jpg

post-1346-086452000 1286577357_thumb.jpg