UV Super Actinic Bulb - 420nm

Derekreefer

This bulb, UV Super Actinic Bulb - 420nm, has a light purple color and looks really dim. Is it true that the human eye cannot see 420nm UV light so it is naturally going to seem dim?

The bulb is brand new and looks extremely less bright compared to the AquaticLife 420/460 nm Actinic that came with the fixture (AquaticLife 4 bulb T5).

post-1248-057020700 1284736721_thumb.jpg

thanks for your help

Based strictly on what I've read, the VHO bulbs look much brighter when run on IceCap 660 ballasts, which overdrive the bulbs.

Hmm...well I'm running an icecap ballast as well so who knows.

We'd have to see the bulbs and really do a par reading to know for sure if it is "dimmer"

I do not have a PAR meter. I could take a picture with only this bulb turned on over the tank. I'll take the picture tonight.

Ok, but you'll need to note what settings your camera took the photo at as if you leave it to "auto" your camera might meter down a lot to make up for the bright light.

Can't comment on bright vs. dim, but I can say that I put a 454nm URI on and it is a purple/blue which allows for the reds in the tank to show up when just he actinics are on, but the tank doesn't fluoresce the way it a 420nm provides.  I like the fluorescence in Mark's tank so much that I have installed a second set of VHO endcaps on the system and as of next Tuesday, I'll have one 420 and one 454 running to get the best of both worlds.  Mine will be driven on a 660 ballast. 

Mike