Calc reactor and phos reactors

cardsfan12

These are two pieces of equiptment I'm pondering at the moment. I didn't realize that they are not super expensive, but didn't want to just get the cheapest one at the expense of effectiveness. I usually advise people when it comes to protein skimmers too not go cheap because you will just end up spending the extra cash later to replace the cheap one that doesn't work. Is this typically true with the reactors as well? what brands do you recommend? Thanks for your input.

so i like Presicion Marine, for over a year now both there reactor and skimmer have work to perfection. There are 2 good thing about this company (probably more but the main ones) #1 They are located in New Braunsfels TX, #2 When you call them for tech support they go outta there way to help, even grabbing the same equipment you have to disect the problem over the phone. You dont get blown off to "oh you dont know SH__..kindas attitude" you get from alot of othere manufactureers. Im realy impressed with them. They use Eheim pumps on there equipment so how could you go wrong. These are my expressions and mine only!!! If you have had problems with them im sorry must be user error... LOL Check them out.

My advice would be to get the largest size of phospahate reactor they offer and use rowaphos media. The reactor is inexpensive but don't be mislead...the media is pricey. I use 2 little fishes 550 reactor but I'm with Jeremy, if you can buy them from a local company then go for it. I didn't know they were located in our area.

Phosphate reactors have a very specific flow rate they need to operate properly, you may need a seperate pump for it.

I'm running a PM calcium reactor. My only complaint is that mine didn't come with a ph probe port. I had to drill and tap the PVC lid to allow installation of a controller. For that reason, I would recommend looking at a GEO 618. Not much more money, but if memory serves, comes with a controller probe port in the lid. Well worth it in my opinion.

Ok so I think I have a temporary fix until I get a phosphate reactor. I'm not sure the correct terminology for the different sections of my sump, so bear with me if you could. Anyway, I've built a rack for phosphate media and placed it in the section beween the chambers for my refugium and the return pump. The water flows through the refugium and then flows over these "teeth" onto the rack I've built. From there it has to go down to get to the return pump chamber. I thought that of every where in my system this is the one area where the water would be forced through the media. At the moment I have a green wirery sponge like material made for phosphate reduction. Sorry I don't know the name of it, but I think most of you are tracking. My question is if it would be detrimental to my tank to place a stocking full of carbon on this rack as well. What do you guys think?