Tunze Wavebox question

medi

I just installed my Tunze Wavebox which is awesome just in case anyone was curious. My question is what does everyone do with these things at night? Do you just leave a full wave going 24 hours a day? Do you put it on a timer so it is only on when the lights are on? Is there some way to turn the power back or just make it a steady stream for night time? I only ask because my Vortech had all of these options and I am hoping there is something similar I can do with the wavebox. Thanks

You can do all of those things, but I would let it run at night too. Your corals will open-up at night to feed and the wave motion will only help.

If you want more of a steady stream, just turn the 'pulse' knob at the top all the way up. For a steady, low stream, turn the top knob all the way up and the bottom knob all the way down.

K, but if I turn change the pulse knob then I have to re-tune it every morning. Sounds kinda like a PITA. Isn't it good for the fish to slow down the current at night?

That's why I always let mine run 24/7.

I would think the wave motion would help the fish stay suspended in the water column when they're 'sleeping', i.e., a good thing.

24/7 unless you use the photo dealio. I say 24/7.

Never muck with the knob. You'll curse your relatives for it. A slight tweak to one side will cause you much frustration to get it back. So no, do not manually slow it down and ramp it up. Set it and forget it. If it ever slows, clean it but do not adjust it. If your corals begin to grow in the way, then consider adjusting it.

The cell is if you want it to turn off when your lights do

No instructions necessary, just plug it in and leave it somewhere where it can detect the light from your...lights

I understand how it works, I'm just wondering since they supplied it do they suggest that it be used...or is it just all personal prefrence. I guess my point is that if Tunze thought it was best to leave on 24/7 then they would have not included the photocell right?

I've got a couple other wavebox questions...when I was using one wavebox I was getting about a 1/2" wave across the tank. When I added the second wavebox even after tuning I still could get more than a 1/2" wave UNTIL I tune it to have the double wave. With the double wave its INSANE, it comes within a 1/4" of coming out of my tank. It makes a 2" wave on the ends and the middle. Both ends drop 2" and then the middle drops 2"....I feel like that is to much. My softies for example are jerked back and forth. I need to get it on video to show you guys, I have seen videos of tanks with wave action but this takes the cake...it actually makes me motion sick if I watch it to long.

Question one

Am I doing something wrong when trying to get the full wave? Is my tank to long to get anymore than 1/2" from a single wave?

Question two

If I leave it with the double wave can it be to much? Will all the corals appreciate this rough water?

For some reason my new wavebox still makes an audible "Brrrrooooowwwwwmp" noise every time the pump turns on (so every 2 seconds or so). I've fiddled with it for days, and waited for it to break in, and bugged Bruce at Aquatek with tons of questions, and finally just decided that it sounds louder to me because it's in my tiny bedroom on a tank with no canopy... and thus I use the photocell to turn it off at night so I can sleep!

For some reason my new wavebox still makes an audible "Brrrrooooowwwwwmp" noise every time the pump turns on (so every 2 seconds or so). I've fiddled with it for days, and waited for it to break in, and bugged Bruce at Aquatek with tons of questions, and finally just decided that it sounds louder to me because it's in my tiny bedroom on a tank with no canopy... and thus I use the photocell to turn it off at night so I can sleep!

The one design flaw, other than the sheer bulk of the box, is the fact that the motor just kinda sits in the bottom of the box, i.e., not really secured to anything. Thus, there's bound to be some vibration, or should I say, "Brrrrooooowwwwwmp" :)

Hydro, the longer the tank, the bigger the wave.

I get about 1 1/2" on either side of my 75g. I've seen 6" before on an 8' tank. The tank was shallow and wide so it really got up and moved. I was amazed.

Question, do you have them on the same end of the tank or opposite?

For some reason my new wavebox still makes an audible "Brrrrooooowwwwwmp" noise every time the pump turns on (so every 2 seconds or so).

I know on the nano wavebox (the one I have), I can adjust the voltage setting and therefore how hard the motor pushes. If I crank the voltage way up, I get the "Brrrooowwmp". Half way or less, no noise.

I don't know if the big box has that setting.

And pbnj...on the nano box, the motor is secured.

Hydro, the longer the tank, the bigger the wave.

I get about 1 1/2" on either side of my 75g. I've seen 6" before on an 8' tank. The tank was shallow and wide so it really got up and moved. I was amazed.

Question, do you have them on the same end of the tank or opposite?

I have them at either end of the tank anti-synced. I've slowly gone through the adjustments twice and can't seem to find the sweet spot for the long wave. For the double wave there is only a small window of oppritunity on the dial so maybe I'm missing it.

For some reason my new wavebox still makes an audible "Brrrrooooowwwwwmp" noise every time the pump turns on (so every 2 seconds or so).

I know on the nano wavebox (the one I have), I can adjust the voltage setting and therefore how hard the motor pushes. If I crank the voltage way up, I get the "Brrrooowwmp". Half way or less, no noise.

I don't know if the big box has that setting.

And pbnj...on the nano box, the motor is secured.

The large boxes I have are on the highest setting and they are very quiet, nearly silent. Is the noise from the pump itself or is it from pulling in water?

with my WB once its set it make a good wave, u can literaly sneeze on it and if it moves one way or the other the wave is gone. Thats how tricky it can be. Also i think with the WBs on either end of the tank like u have them, gettn one wave will be hard. If you had them both on one end facing the lenght of the tank you could get one HUGE wave, but youd probly have to drain the tank down about an inch, thats the other thing you can do to. If i fill the DT up 1/8" more than where i set my wave the wave isnt as big. Just a few pointers. If your tanks normal water height is completely full (no room for a wave) try lowering it 1/4" and see what happens.