My new GD Emerald Crab

Austinvines

I sought a biological alternative to rid my tank of bubble algae that came with the tank. The levels of cyano in my tank are finally starting to decline now that I have my nitrate levels somewhat in check and added two new MJ1200's (thanks for the tip on where to get them Robert).

Since I saved money on the MJ's, I went to AA and picked up a smallish emerald crab. She accimlated fine to the tank and immediately started munching on what I thought was green hair algae (my next bloom after the receeding of the cyano). I noticed last night that my coralline covered rocks had white chips taken out of them in places and then saw the crab picking off pieces and shoving them into its mouth. It has not as of yet started going after the bubble algae. I figure it has two weeks and then I will trap her and either send her to the sump or take her back if that is allowed. Is sump living a decent way to exist? Oooh, I just thought that I leave my fuge light on 24/7. That probably won't be very nice...

Assuming it is going to continue to munch my lovely pink coralline, what is the best way to trap the crab?

Thanks

Dylan

a buddy of mine added an emerald crab from AA a couple of weeks ago. this crab went right to pulling on the anemone, zoos and leather coral as well as scraping coralline. i assured him that he will settle down. well two weeks later and he is knocking on the door crab in hand. i put 'strongmad' in my 55 and he immediatly went to scraping coralline. he has 'tasted' some zoas and ricordias but really doesnt seem to bother them. i am going to give him some time to see if he is really capable of damage or not. the coralline grows back almost as fast as he scrapes it.

Crabs are all opportunistic and unfortunately the only way to know if you got a good one or a bad one is to try them in your tank. I've had three different emeralds over the years and only one of them decided to chow on things he wasn't supposed to.

John

John,

Don't you have a plane to catch? That is committment for you - or addiction, one or the other. ;) Will Michael accept a return on LS for non health related reasons? I would think not but who knows.

He is very cool to watch and so long as he keeps away from the zoas and softies I will let him go.

I bet you could find someone with a nice big FOWLR who might want your little green man just for the interest. I'd post an ad (here, MAAST maybe) saying what the problem is and see if anyone wants him. Somebody with a big tank and no coral probably wouldn't mind him munching a little coraline.

I bought 2 or 3 emeralds from SWF.com a while back. It took a while before I saw any of them, but one has definitely gotten over his shyness and he really is cool to watch.

I bought 2 or 3 emeralds from SWF.com a while back. It took a while before I saw any of them, but one has definitely gotten over his shyness and he really is cool to watch.

Oh mine isn't shy. I mean, he doesn't run around the sand bed with the lights on but he can be easily seen munching the coralline ;) If he becomes a problem child I will take your advice and see if some one wants him. I will say that the coralline grows back quickly and he hasn't attacked my softies yet so maybe he can continue to stay. Thanks though.