What is this?

chrisfowler99

Sponge most likely. I am surprised it would have killed a candy cane. Unless it just smothered it.

It was all up inside it...must have smothered it or something. I managed to frag off a healthy section, so I didn't lose the whole thing, but I lost a lot...in just a few days.

In that picture you can see where the SPS has encrusted the plug, except the spot where the sponge is...it's pulled away from it there. I was concerned that it might take that SPS over too.

Glad it isn't something bad...

Sponges in general (as has been stated) are a sign of a healthy aquarium and something you like to see. If you want or need to remove a sponge simply exposing it to air can be a simple effective method. Air bubbles in the sponge cannot be ejected by the sponge and will generally lead to its deterioration and death.

When moving sponges or rocks with attached sponges that you wish to keep it is important to ensure they are not exposed to air or air bubbles.