Faded Favites Pentagona

Bmwaaron

Anyone know why this coral would fade? Mine on the new sections is almost a clearish red color. Im not sure if its just the nature of this coral or if my tank is doing it.

Do LPS in genral fade color in low Nutrient tanks?

Well mine never faded or brown out but I suppliment alot to prevent browning. Coral I got that browned out in people's tank colored quick in my tank. Bonsai Valida that browned out under 400 MH started to get half it's body with the right color polys and body in one week. It is large acro so I think it will take a month or so to completely flip. I went from VHO to 250 metal halide ,and up the suppliment and everything looks great. I only recommend to feed the coral mysis shrimp to make sure it's healthy and up add some trace and iodine to your regements in small amounts every third day.

-Joseph

Well mine never faded or brown out but I suppliment alot to prevent browning. Coral I got that browned out in people's tank colored quick in my tank.

He isn't talking about browning out he has a favites which is an LPS which don't brown out, they can bleach which can be from low low nutrients or too much light.

and up the suppliment and everything looks great. I only recommend to feed the coral mysis shrimp to make sure it's healthy and up add some trace and iodine to your regements in small amounts every third day.

-Joseph

NEVER dose things in which you are not testing for, that is just asking for trouble and iodine is one that is very hard to test for. If you are doing water changes regularly your iodine levels should be fine as well as as your trace minerals.

All I was saying is that if that, if all the parameter are good and water change might stress things up a bit or already done recently, why not try something that the coral use by add some element to see what effect it might do to improve.It is a favite, it does "eat" , and I also said " small amoun't " not a a cap full. Iodine is a bases of healing for the corals a little extra will never hurt. Plus there is a skimmer on the unit to take out what the coral don't use. My bad that I didn't talk about bleaching, I know the difference. If you have a large set up like that , small amounts and not testing would do hardly a dent in anything but just supply a little extra for coral that need it right? Just putting my 2 cents. For my set up I dose one capful of iodine everyday trace cap full every 4 days for 3 yrs no testing. No ill effect on my 135 gallon.

-Joseph

The thing is Joseph is that even though your Iodine and supplement dosing has worked for you, someone may read that and then overdose their tank. That is why Brian stated to never dose something you can't test for. It is best to make sure that any advice you give is something that is tried and true. Otherwise put a disclaimer on it.