turboflotor 1000 multi skimmer

hammondegge

has anyone set one of these up? i am trying to help a friend with a new one and i am having a hard time gaining control of the water level in the throat of the skimmer. i can make the water level higher but it is too high right now and i cant get it to go lower. anybody?

you can cut back on the feed inlet of the reactor, that should lower it. Butt you could probably just set the skimmer on a object that would raise the whole skimmer of of the bottom of the sump/floor. That will deffinately lower the level inside of the skimmer.. Does the skimmer have a line on it saying were the water level should be?

i raised it and it does not effect the water level. it has flow adjusters that are set to the lowest level. instructions are sparse and one of the only suggestions that i have come across is to raise the pump higher in the sump. i have done that too. this thing is a venturi with needle wheel design and is set up entirely in the sump.

does it produce alot of bubbles?

Maybe the inlet of this skimmer is clogged? Check the inlet to see if you can hear a sucking sound comeing from the venturi inlet hose. If so it probably isn't clogged butt checking it might help. Hope this helps.

I understand where you're coming from as if this skimmer is similar to his bigger brother, the shorty, it's a real pain to adjust the water level. The instructions are sparse and the "adjustors" don't really adjust anything. The only thing I've found is to put a ball valve on the feed pump to limit water coming into the body, and actually take the "adjustors" out and look at them. They're fairly easy to see the theory behind how they work. Another option would be to talk to Aquamedic tech support as they're based in Denver and should be able to help you.

John

hey doc, i did try that , the venturi is working properly. John, i was afraid that i might have to resort to that. i did not want to install a ball valve as it is not mentioned nor recommended by the manufacturer and i dont want to rob pump power, but what the hey! i will give it a try. thanks to all, all.

it's nice and quiet here, like going to the library, i like it. :) these smileys are a little creepy though. can we get others andrew?

Yeah the Aquamedic skimmers are a royal PITA to adjust. They also experienced some HUGE setbacks when their entire US inventory burned along with their warehouse in early January. They just know have been able to start shipping their products again. Let me know if you need the number or email for Aqua-medic and I'll see if I can find it.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Hey I just thought of somthing.  Have your friend step up and get a Euro reef or a Deltec. :D

Hey there... I'm the friend and I already blew my aquarium budget for the time being. sad5.gif Besides, we can't fit anything bigger under the tank!

I've heard these TF skimmers are good once you actually do get them tuned. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, all of the sudden about a week ago, the skimmer started working REALLY well! I don't know what happened since we never got around to installing a ball valve to slow down the pump feeding it, but it just decided to work one day. I know they sometimes take a while to settle in, but 5 weeks? It's been pulling about 1/2 to 1 cup of brown smelly water a day from my 75 (with only 2 fish I'm feeding) for the past week! Woo Hoo! blob7.gif