2.3 degree temperature swing

Will

It's right there. If the tank looks good and is not giving you any indication that it is a problem, then I would probably let it pass. Do you run a cool down period on your lighting? Say turn the MH's off about 3 hours before the rest. That way it might cool gradually back to around 77 before the lights go off. If it was much more of a swing I would be more concerned.

yes the actenics are on from 9-9, Mh from 11-6, moonlights from 8-11

the other problem is that the tank is located next to a window (no light gets on it, but i think some radiant heat hits the tank) I may try putting a fan in the stand as well as the one i currently have on the lights.

it generally takes about 6 hours to cool down and it peaks when the lights go off.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most tanks with water chillers have a 3 degree temperature swing b/c that is the differential chillers are typically set at. My 175 gallon that I had for the last year had a 5 degree swing everyday from 77-82! My corals grew very fast, were colorful and healthy until I moved them to the new tank, now they are a little stressed.

yes the actenics are on from 9-9, Mh from 11-6, moonlights from 8-11

the other problem is that the tank is located next to a window (no light gets on it, but i think some radiant heat hits the tank) I may try putting a fan in the stand as well as the one i currently have on the lights.

it generally takes about 6 hours to cool down and it peaks when the lights go off.

you should try some of the window films for the company I'm shooting for (www.geoshield.com). Their films reject nearly all UV and there is no radiant heat.

They even have proven that sq foot for sq foot, window film is more efficient and cost effective than solar panels!

Pretty cool stuff.