Fish escape preventer?

Will

has anyone built a pond netting window screen type of thing to prevent their fish from jumping? mind telling me how you made it?

Or if anyone knows where i can find a link.

I've used the egg crate myself (it's ceiling lighting panels from any home store) and it kept my firefish from jumping out. Too bad I thought I'd see what happens if I took the egg crate off - I found a dried out firefish on the floor the next day :)

Do you see any issues with the egg crate limiting the amount of light that reaches the tank?

I could see it being a problem if you didn't have even light distribution over the tank, in other words if you have a single light over a 75 gallon for example I do think that it would block some light. It is easy and cheap to find out, they have it at Lowes and HD for about $6 for 2'x4'.

I made one that was super cheap and easy. It also looked much nicer than eggcrate. Since I had a rimless Solana I went to HD and bought the prefinished foam L molding and birdnetting. Then I simply cut the angles to make 90 degree corners and glued the corners together with Loctite universal glue. Since it is foam the glue does an excellent job of holding the pieces together. As soon as that was dry I took small strips of the foam molding and used them to glue the birdnetting in place underneath the trim. I used it for over a 1.5 years before I sold the tank. Super easy and a lot cheaper than replacing fish. I'm at work, but i'll try and post some pics this evening so that you can get a better idea.

well sorry I am not sure what happened to all of the pics I took as I was building the thing. I inserted a pic of what the final project looked like from the front, but you can't really tell any detail. Hopefully this will give you an idea though.

post-698-064695100 1278040918_thumb.jpg

Go to HD or Lowes and buy window screen material. They have all the supplies to make a screen, frame and all, from scratch. Just stick with the plastic screens so they don't corrode.

While I was in Port A my Helfrichi jumped out of my Solana...which has egg crate on it. The girl watching the house was a bit confused as to how that happened...and I was a bit upset that it did. That fish had sentimental value sad.gif

Dena