red alge

Jakedoza

My tank has been up and running for about 3-4 months. All my water parameters are fine, tested my myself and RCA. My calcium is very high and my KH is at 9 drops. I do not have any corals except for one anemone that was put in there last Friday. The rest are snails, hermits and fish. Is this normal or is there something I should be doing? Thanks,

Do you mean Cyano? It is a bacteria not an algae. It can feed off of Phosphates leaching out of the rock. It may not test in the water column. I have posted before my warning about using red slime remover, but many have used it successfully. Especially since you don't really have any corals. I prefer the less food more water changes (syphon out as much as you can during water changes.) and wait method though.

Do you mean Cyano? It is a bacteria not an algae. It can feed off of Phosphates leaching out of the rock. It may not test in the water column. I have posted before my warning about using red slime remover, but many have used it successfully. Especially since you don't really have any corals. I prefer the less food more water changes (syphon out as much as you can during water changes.) and wait method though.

+1, If your water parameters are good I wouldn't let it stop me from adding polyps, leather/soft corals and other inverts, maybe not the more delicate or demanding corals though.

I have not had cyano in a while. But when I did, i did a few things and it just disappeared. It may also depend on how you stack your rock. I do not stack rock on any of my walls.(side or back) First I turned my to power heads in opposite directions. One faced the back wall(K3) and the other(K2) toward the front. I then added more Cerith snails and blue legged hermits crabs. I also boosted my water changes from once every two weeks to once every week. I stopped dosing as much too. If something was recommended twice a week I only did it once. These methods have worked on all of my tanks. Before and after I switched to a bigger tank.

I have something 'growing' on one side of my tank on the sand bad. I thought it was cyano coming back, but it doesn't really seem like cyano. It's hard and forms crunchy sheets. I think it might be coralline growing on my sand!? Man I'm starting to hate that stuff. I like it on the back tank wall, and it's almost totally covered my back wall in the last couple months. But I wish it wouldn't encrust everything else that doesn't move away fast enough. I can't say 'that doesn't move', because I have hermits with coralline encrusted shells. Rediculous.

Does cyano ever grow without being stringy or fuzzy and not feeling kinda slimy?

Does cyano ever grow without being stringy or fuzzy and not feeling kinda slimy?

It's always slimy. If it's crunchy it's either coraline or, well? I guess your kids breakfast cereal in your tank would be slimy not crunchy laugh.gif