Firefish has to go

Melissa

I picked up a 3rd firefish about a week ago from Mama. Everything started fine, but the next day I noticed it hovering in a corner at the top of the tank, with one of my other (smaller) firefish about two inches in front of it hovering and protecting it from the biggest one, sitting dead center in the tank facing them, with his "plumage" fully showing. I fed them, everyone ate (including the newb) so I turned the lights off to let them chill, and after that never saw it again. So I thought the newest one died. Fast forward to today. I saw all three at feeding time this morning, but only the biggest was normal looking. The other two looked like they got their tails handed to them and they looked pretty beat up with some torn fins and tails. I hadn't ever had an issue with the original until I added the third one. I am 100% certain it wasn't the new one, because he has a shorter "antennae" than the other two and is noticeably different from the first two, as her pink stripe is smaller than the other.In the tank are my blennies, crabs,and snail there is no one else to beat them up. I'm thinking that maaaaybe I found a pair, though I can't be positive. I just know that they stay together when I see them out, and far away from the other one.

So, I need to get rid of the one I got first. I don't want him to hurt my other two, and I like the new one :D

He eats anything you put in, loves his flake, but also loves bloodworms, minced shrimp, and mysis.

Open to trades for another peaceful fish. Just let me know. If he's not gone by this weekend I'll probably just go trade him for something else. Thanks ARC :P

trade for a spotted reef hawk/ falco's reef hawk (I cant tell which he is)?

Not trying to mess with your trade at all, but my Falco/Spotted hawk is mean as can be towards anything smaller than him.

He's killed sixline wrasee, harassed target gobies, and will kill and eat even the largest peppermint shrimp I put in the tank.

Just my experience with them.

I love the look of the firefish, but I know that my hawk would kill him the second he hits the water.

Again, just MY experience with my hawkfish.

I do however love the way he sits on the rocks, and the way he looks. So until I find a small fish that I REALLY want, I'm keeping the hawk.

To be honest, I was a little nervous after reading up about them. I really want to keep the peaceful atmosphere going in my tank, and from everything I read, I am going to have to graciously decline the hawk. I appreciate it though.

oOzarkawater thank you for the heads up. I appreciate the warning. I read a lot of similar stories, and (to me) even look kinda evil lol.

I like my hawk fish too. He always greets me with a "Whats up punk? You got something for me?" look. I think he responsible for the death of my lawnmower blenny, mandarin, sleeper banded goby, and two peppermint shrimp. Oh well.....

• 2 weeks later...