aquascape

Hydro

I think that is retardedly good looking. The only hold back I have is there is no place for pods and lil fellas to hide if it is concrete covered with sand. There is a place local that sells limestone which doesn't sound right at first. It's the same as live rock i.e. dead stuff turned rock with out ripping it off a reef and with out the hitch hickers. The guy was on ebay not sure if he's still on there but you get the idea. Plus you don't get butt hurt from breaking it to make the shape you want. I had a friend who lived in cali and he said they bring the live rock in to the docks by the connex (BIG METAL CRATE capable of holding 2-4 cars!) load. After hearing that I will only by out of other tanks or other means. Just don't buy it out of the ocean. It sounds dreamy but its very very destructive!

I think that I'm going to try and make the rocks myself....why not. I've been reading up on it. The short version is I'm going to use a tub of wet sand to make moulds of the rocks that I want. I will use live rock from my tank to press into the sand mould to create the right texture so that once it dries and we wash away the sand theoretically it will look just like regular live rock.

Sounds fun and only costs about $20 to try.

will be interested to see how this turns out as I have been wanting to try it too... please keep us posted... my goodness you sure do have lots of projects going haha...from a new tank to baby fish raising... good luck with it all

will be interested to see how this turns out as I have been wanting to try it too... please keep us posted... my goodness you sure do have lots of projects going haha...from a new tank to baby fish raising... good luck with it all

If you only knew....that's the stuff I do in my spare time blink.gif

Cool, I really like the open look. Right now my tank is crammed with rock but I don't want our new tank to be that way. I might would purchase some of these rocks but I'm afraid it would be $2-3k to fill it.

The dry rock I just bought from the Prof was mined inland and not taken from the ocean. I have to agree that that seems the only ecologically way to go now adays.

wayneb

Garf.org has some ideas for aragcrete. I have used "enkamat" (see jpg) along with cpvc pipe to do some walls and shelves and stuff. Basicly it's a saltwater safe alternative to wire mesh to do concrete structures. I've never sourced it locally but somebody probably has it. I get it from Aquatic Ecosystems, aquaticeco.com. Once I get the shape I want I'll mix the cement really dry like putty and work it into the enkamat then work sand, gravel or shells into it. The enkamat obviously doesn't have the rigidity of wire mesh so you may need to use cups or dowels or something to help hold the shape while the concrete sets. However I prefer to use holy rock and limestone flagstone to do shelves to do a open rockwork and set liverock on top, it's less work than the aragacrete.

post-1247-12727677791972_thumb.jpg