pod X-ing

diabeetus

Same way 1 1/2" Peppermint and live mysis shrimp do - blind luck! I'm guessing the pods would have a higher survival rate because of their smaller mass. This would be an interesting problem for some one with a physics degree to analyze how a small delicate body survives the forces inside a pump head.

i guess this is true!! in my old 70g we were missing a watchmen goby for months and months!! turns out he was in the sump the whole time cause one day he just re-appeared in the DT ;) cool, thanks! just wondering

On the pods issue I did a lot of research on how a pod could get from the refugium to the display tank. Evidently, these are really tough little guys. Also, in the microscopic level the "shear force" of the pump just does not apply to these guys. Kinda like when a small bug drops out of a tree. Even though it can't fly, it doesn't really get hurt. Larger amphipods might get torn up in a pump but that just makes for minced fish food.

As for your goby its always possible to make it down to the sump if you have no screens on the returns like me. Making it back up through an impeller would make him sushi. More than likely he was hiding in the rock work the whole time. If you take your pump apart you'll see what I mean.