Reactors

chrisfowler99

you're talking about 2 different things Chris...

calcium reactor = dissolves coral skeletons to raise the Alk and Ca of your system

carbon/GFO reactor = holds carbon & GFO to reduce funk from your system

BTW...on your tank, a single canister Carbon/GFO reactor will work fine. A Dual one is overkill.

You're right...I had even been looking at the page about their dual reactor when I typed that. doh.gif

Both media in a single reactor is fine?

Ok..even though it's technically not part of the dual reactor...how about an education on a calcium reactor too? :D (My Alk (6) and Ca (400) are both low. And that's measured within a day of a water change...:) )

You're right...I had even been looking at the page about their dual reactor when I typed that. doh.gif

Both media in a single reactor is fine?

Ok..even though it's technically not part of the dual reactor...how about an education on a calcium reactor too? :D (My Alk (6) and Ca (400) are both low. And that's measured within a day of a water change...:) )

yep...both in 2 reactor are fine. That's how I run mine.

i run (2) TWO LITTLE FISHY REACTOR, one with GFO other with CARBON. The i have a 2 chamber calcium reactor (PM), the second chamber is just to insure that all the CO2 being entered into the system is dissolved into the media. Maybe this will help a little. My system is a total water volume of around 140-150 gallons.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...picked up a single reactor, pump, GFO and carbon.

Now, the next set of questions...

how much GFO?

how much carbon?

mix them up?

separate them with the sponge?

if separated, GFO on top or carbon?

change them out how often, monthly? (sounds like carbon will be the determining factor here)

use the calculator @ BRS' website (click on the clownfish on the UR of the body of the page). That will tell you how much carbon/GFO

- separate them with the sponge

- GFO on top as I pull the carbon every 2 weeks and the GFO every month. (You can probably go a month on carbon and 2 months on GFO, but I like to play things safe)

Do you used media bags with these or just let the carbon and GFO tumble around? I am currently running carbon in a media bag in a Aquaclear on my 29 gallon. It works but I clean the media bags twice a week. would a single canister be overkill for me?