protein skimmer question

Will

+1

the old saying you get what you pay for seems to especially hold true with skimmers. there is no feed pump on it either from what i could tell, so factor in that cost too.

I disagree, at least when it comes to high end skimmers.

Here you go (Article from Advanced Aquarist): The Limits of Foam Fractionation

Daniel

I am not saying that the most expensive skimmer is also the best, but from the many different skimmers I have owned (6 of them), and seen in action (more than I can count), the rule generally holds true. While the Vertex was capable of skimming very well, it was extremely difficult to get dialed in and keep it there. While my Euroreef was easy on both counts and skimmed very well. Also what they don't take into account in that article is durability. The cheaper skimmers are cheaper because of inferior materials that cost less. So while they may skim well, they may not last.

I dono, there is another one on there that is only $39, so i might just try it out. I was going to get an ASM mini - g but may see if i can experiment with this, and if it doesn't work then im not out too much money.

My total water volume is around 36 gal, so im thinking that the ASM (rated for 80) would be good, but i may end up getting the current just to try it out. I have an old Mag 3 that i could use to drive it. If my BakPak wasn't such a terrible skimmer, i wouldn't have to get a new one.