Green palys turning purple.

Lamont

I have had some palys since the start of my reef tank and something strange is happening. On Sunday i noticed them changing from green to purple. not all of them are changing, just a few. i was looking on coralpedia and notice they have some on the website that are called two face palys. i was wondering is that what i have or is something wrong. Two weeks ago i switched out my lighting for some better bulbs. i switched from 2x 96w SPS bulbs to 2x 96w Sunpaq bulbs. would the better lighting cause the palys to show there true colors or is something wrong. the rest of my palys and other corals are fine!(unchanged) the link is below

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=7252

post-1245-12695326827332_thumb.jpg

post-1245-12695327070598_thumb.jpg

post-1245-12695327962244_thumb.jpg

post-1245-12695329141177_thumb.jpg

I find this sort of thing happens everytime i change bulbs or fixtures. I even ran some experiments once with some red/blue striped mushrooms where i put frags of the same shroom at different levels of the tank to see how they reacted and would get changes from bright red to bright blue and all points in between (purple was my fav.)

Nothing wrong, just the corals adapting to your tank and lighting. I have some zoas that do this also. They start off yellow, and eventually turn to green.

After they turned, did they stay green? that would be nice if mine turned purple and stayed that way!:)

I find this sort of thing happens everytime i change bulbs or fixtures. I even ran some experiments once with some red/blue striped mushrooms where i put frags of the same shroom at different levels of the tank to see how they reacted and would get changes from bright red to bright blue and all points in between (purple was my fav.)

That sound like a pretty cool project. I keep my palys at the bottom of my tank and wolud love to have some diversity without buying new frags all the time. I will try that out.:) Thanks!

After they turned, did they stay green? that would be nice if mine turned purple and stayed that way!:)

So far, yes they have. But like Zarathustra2 said, they might change again if I switch the type of light... which I kinda hope they do, as I bought them because I wanted some yellow centered zoas. Right now I have a growing green back from the center of the colony going outwards :P