which skimmer would you pick

aggieMEDIC

Honestly, neither. I have tanks with both of those and neither work that great and require trouble shooting everytime we visit.

The Coralife pump is very very strange and doesn't work right 50% of the time. We've found that butting it up to a sump wall and offering the intake some resistance helps but it still has a very real chance of overflowing. Gabriel (GKarshens) used one for awhile and I hope he chimes in on the difference between it and his Euroreef.

The Precision Marine skimmer is just an outdated technology IMHO. Mag 9.5's are not good with head loss and back pressure, they produce tons of heat, and the amount of air it's able to draw just isn't very good. We have a larger model with an Iwaki 50 driving it and it's never done anything for me.

Look into Euroreef as they make some really fair priced needlewheel skimmers. You're paying for reliability, performance, the ability to set it and forget it, and lower power consumption and heat. A RS-80 made out of extruded acrylic is only $178.99 on Marine Depot. http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protei..._rs.asp?CartId=

John

i am trying to keep the price under 150. and it says that euroreef 80 is rated for up to 200g this is only going on a 55g tank so i am worried that that will be a little overkill.

i have the opportinity to purchase the PM es-100 with the 9.5 for $100. so i am trying to decide i was thinking of getting it then replacing the mag 9.5 with a 5 or 7 then use the 9.5 as my return pump. your thoughts

I had both the CSS-65 and the 220. Do NOT use them as a hang-on. They will overflow from time to time. That said I think they are an OK skimmer for the price. However, since upgrading to the ER I am getting twice the skimmate and denser muck. I know nothing about the PM.

I would Defiantly go with the Euro reef. Its a real bad Idea to cut corners on the skimmer. A good skimmer will make all the difference in your success. The CS 80 is also a good size for a 50 gallon tank.

I would Defiantly go with the Euro reef. Its a real bad Idea to cut corners on the skimmer. A good skimmer will make all the difference in your success. The CS 80 is also a good size for a 50 gallon tank.

I am definitely with the ER crowd. That's a great little underdog and it's what I run. Check with Randall at RCA, they just started carrying them and might get you a REALLY nice deal (hint hint I've seen the deal myself)

Another alternative is ASM. They make clones of ER skimmers but are getting difficult to find.