noisy ballast fix?

eleyan@yahoo.com

I got this used MH hood a few weeks back. it runs great, but one of the two ballasts is much noisier than the other. its starts out fine but as it warms up it has this laud buzzing noise. I thought it was something loose, but it seems that the casing is on tight. anyone has a similar issue and knows if there is a way to fix it?

hopefully not, the replacement is like $120 :) Last night I opened it up and everything is pretty much molded in there. There was a piece of cardboard under the cover that was a little flaky. I cut of all the loose edges from it and tightened everything back up. we'll see if this improves the noise this evening.

Bill is likely right. As magnetic ballasts age the plates in the transformer start to get looser, causing a hum. To the best of my knowledge there really isn't a way to fix this, short of replacing the ballast (or at least the transformer), but it's often possible to find compatible ballasts for a reasonable cost, depending on wattage and such.

I should add that if the ballast is indeed aging, you don't necessarily have to replace the entire unit. If you're reasonably skilled electrically you can replace the internal components for much less than the cost of replacing the ballast unit: hellolights has an m58 (250w) bare ballast for $70, and you can often find them cheaper than that at the habitat for humanity store downtown, though since those are used you run the risk of getting another loud one.

Thanks for the info. If I have to replace the ballast I was thinking of going with an electronic ballast instead. most of them are expensive ($150-$200) but I found a couple of them that were suspiciously cheap ($50-$60). They are from international stores online and on ebay. Is there a way to tell if they are any good?

here is one for $50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INNOVA-INC-150W-MH-HALIDE-ELECTRONIC-BALLAST-NEW_W0QQitemZ310195598936QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4839193658

and here is another one for $53:

http://www.reefshops.com/150w-metal-halide-e-ballast.html

The OEM replacement for my exact ballast in ($118):

http://cgi.ebay.com/150W-Coralife-HQI-Metal-Halide-Replacement-Ballast_W0QQitemZ300357552265QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45eeb48889

If I replace the ballast with the OEB then I only would get one ballast. if I was going to replace it with the electronic one then I might buy 2 of the cheapo ballasts and replace both lights in the hood.

Upgrading to electronic ballasts might be a good idea.. I know I've heard the name innova before, but I can't remember much else. I know that you can get an ARO electronic 150w ballast for around $100, which has a good reputation, but is still a good bit more than the $50 import ballast.

Are there specific ballasts for DE vs SE bulbs? I found a few 150W and even a dual 150W ballasts at aquacave, but wasn't sure if all of them would work or if I should be looking for something specific. My setup is a DE one by the way.

I like this one:

http://www.aquacave.com/2-x-150w-dual-ocean-brelectronic-metal-halidebr-ballast--by-aqua-medic-1172.html

Your ballast is not yet shot but will make that noise for years until it gives up.

I really like my electronic ballasts. I have Icecaps that are approximately 8 years old. Unless they go out of business, I will only be buying them from now on. They are more pricey, but a lot more reliable. I would rather spend money up front than replacing year after year.