Dottyback Aggression

PeeperKeeper

Having gotten tired of introducing new fish who turn out to be sick and get the rest of my tank sick, I decided to set up a very small (10 gallon) Q tank to put new fish in for a couple of weeks before introducing them to my main display. After cycling the QT, I got a firefish to put in it and he did fine. A week or so later, I bought a tank raised neon dottyback and put him in as well.

In less than 2 days it became obvious that the dottyback was becoming aggressive towards the firefish. So I made a barrier out of egg crate and screen material to divide the 10 gallon tank and keep them separated. Problem solved. Yesterday afternoon, I checked on them and all was fine. This morning I came in and the barrier had shifted so that the dottyback got in the firefish's side and the firefish is looking extremely ragged after only one night.

My question is will this be a problem when I put them in my 75 gallon display? I imagine the dottyback has been frustrated, only having less than 5 gallons worth of territory, so maybe he was just taking out that frustration on the firefish last night. I purposely gave him less than half the tank when I put the barrier in because I figured maybe that would get him used to only having a small territory and he wouldn't feel like he had to stake out a big area in my display as his own.

What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with neon dottybacks and if so, are they bullies with other fish (besides other dottybacks, I know you can't have more than one dottyback in a tank my size) in general? I really like this guy because he's beautiful and has a lot of expression and personality, but if once I introduce him to my display I won't be able to add new fish, I don't know. I only have two PJ cards in the display now, and I eventually want to have them, the dottyback, a 6 line wrasse, the firefish, a clown or two and a sailfin tang. Oh, and a Mandarin when my pod population fills in. I'd say I could wait and add the dottyback last, but I hate to keep him in such a small area for so long. help.gif

My experience with them is that they are very aggressive, and try to be the dominate one in the tank. If you plan on keeping calmer fish, then I would think about putting him in your display tank. (IMO)

I'm very reluctant to this particular dotty. From what I read on other forums and some of the experts; this fish can be quiet aggresive. Although, if you have a large tank you can accomodate ample space for the fish that you mention of acquiring. The firefish will probably recover if fed with enriched food, and it will heal (IMO). Check out orafarms.com/dottybacks. May I suggest 2 books that are handy when you are at LFS:

1.) A PocketExpert Guide Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael and 2.) A PocketExpert Guide Reef Aquarium Fishes by Scott W. Michael

The second book lists the best fishes for reef aquariums. Good Luck

:D