Hate gyres.

Christyef

I’ve said it. I don’t like them. The only reason I switched from my mp40 was bc my tank was so close to the wall, the dry side of the mp40 wouldn’t fit. I got a good deal on a maxspect 150 and loved the slim magnet and if fit perfect between tank and wall. Didn’t like that I couldn’t control it... so, on Black Friday I got a 250 with controller and now can control both gyres. They’re only set on 10% and I still have an mp40 in the back. [emoji849]. I don’t like how the gyre is either blasting the heck out of things, or no flow at all. I’ve tried every program, every speed, every turn of the barrel, etc. Someone told me about penductors. Or eductor. Does anyone use these on their returns instead of powerheads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you just need more Gyres, I have 2 more for ya... cheap  ;)

Well, 1.5. I never could get the second side of one to work again, even after replacing all bearings, cage, etc. 

I loved them when I first got them, but the original ones do have issues and limitations that I would expect those new ones not to have.

• Like 1

Lol. Thanks Chris, but I have two. [emoji51]. I’ve got the 150 I got from you and the 250 I bought for the controller. I Connor get the ebb and flow I’m looking for. I think I’ve tried every program and variation. Even the pre programmed ones. [emoji1745]‍[emoji3601]. I’m sure it’s operator error. Lol

I met a guy last week who swears by them. He ran (currently runs?) a 300 gal mixed Reef with no powerheads bc he hates the look of wires. Had 2 penductors and said that was perfect. I recently obtained some of those 3-d printed things that go on the end of the locline to create random flow. They fit well, did create random flow, but not near enough to take the place of my powerheads. I don’t think that’s their purpose anyways. But in order for them to work effectively, I had to have my pump on super high. The splashing water was too loud

A penductor and a random flow generator work a little differently. It might be a good idea to try the penductor. I'll research it a little more. Also, I believe random flow generator reduce the amount of flow and can clog easily.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

A penductor and a random flow generator work a little differently. It might be a good idea to try the penductor. I'll research it a little more. Also, I believe random flow generator reduce the amount of flow and can clog easily.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes, the random flow generator wasn’t what I was looking for at all. And I’m glad you said that about flow.... bc it greatly reduced flow. All the videos I watched showed way more. The examples added microbubbling to show the flow. I also did that, but can’t share videos on Tapatalk. It’s a huge difference. They’re in my fish drawer if you’d like to try them out. [emoji6].

• 2 weeks later...

Gyres working great on my tanks. 250s on each end, up near water surface. Pulse mode, 0.9 s., B running opposite of A. Tank is five feet long and this setting creates a nice wave action. On a three foot frag tank, I have one Icecap 3000 set on pulse, 0.7 s, 30%, at 100% the wave will almost splash out. You just have to get the pulse at the right freq for the dimensions of each tank. ... and you have learn how to unassemble, clean, and reassemble. Seems as though engineering flaws in the early model are being addressed in more recent versions (e.g. weak cord, weak adapters between magnet spindle and gyre). much beefier now.