Super low calcium

Christyef

I checked with 3 different tests and my calcium is 320 range. According to the BRS calculator, to raise it to 400 (not even 420), I need 88 oz/11 cups of the 2 part solution! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]. What should I do. Tomorrow is Water change day, but I don’t know if even a large one could fix the calcium. I also know I can’t (?) dump 11 cups of cal 2-part into the tank. The alk is 11. Also checked with 3 different tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quote from Randy's article in Reef Keeping magazine. Since your Alk is already high..........

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

For these reasons, I suggest that aquarists maintain a calcium level between about 380 and 450 ppm. I also suggest using a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system for routine maintenance. The most popular of these balanced methods include limewater (kalkwasser), calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactors, and the two-part additive systems.

If calcium is depleted and needs to be raised significantly, however, such a balanced additive is not a good choice since it will raise alkalinity too much. In that case, adding calcium chloride is a good method for raising calcium.

• Like 1

Trying to get there all at once isn't advisable, since you know abrupt changes are rarely a good thing. Recommend doing a sizeable water change if possible, then test calc again to see where it's sitting. Then increase your daily Calcium 2 part dose to the high end of what you're comfortable with (I've gone as high as 50ml/day), testing both CA and Alk daily until Ca gets back up to where you want it. If your Alk is where you want it, just keep doing what you've been doing. I've run my Alk that high. My two cents..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What do your corals look like?  How fast you try to raise it would depend in part on whether they look ok or seem to be stressed.  As pointed out above you only want to be adding calcium and not any buffer.   Were all three tests done with the same test kit or separate test kits?  When I have a reading that's way out of range I check the test kit used also to see if reagent has gone bad.  

What do your corals look like?  How fast you try to raise it would depend in part on whether they look ok or seem to be stressed.  As pointed out above you only want to be adding calcium and not any buffer.   Were all three tests done with the same test kit or separate test kits?  When I have a reading that's way out of range I check the test kit used also to see if reagent has gone bad.  
+1 on Timfish's comment about urgency depending on how your corals are reacting. I was assuming that the only evidence of a problem was your test results.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A quote from Randy's article in Reef Keeping magazine. Since your Alk is already high..........

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

For these reasons, I suggest that aquarists maintain a calcium level between about 380 and 450 ppm. I also suggest using a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system for routine maintenance. The most popular of these balanced methods include limewater (kalkwasser), calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactors, and the two-part additive systems.

If calcium is depleted and needs to be raised significantly, however, such a balanced additive is not a good choice since it will raise alkalinity too much. In that case, adding calcium chloride is a good method for raising calcium.

I have the 2-part solutions, but they aren’t hooked up to a doser. I manually added some calcium chloride yesterday. 100 ml over the course of the day. [emoji51]. Maybe too much too fast, but today the calcium is 360. I used 3 different tests yesterday to make sure the results were correct. Hanna, Red Sea, and API. All 3 were with in a couple hundredths of each other. They may be deemed as cheap and junk, but for simplicity bc I’m lazy, I’ll use api every so often. And double check with Red Sea or salifert. So far, all have been pretty close. Close enough anyways.

I have an lps/softie/zoa tank. Some things look fantastic and some look horrible. I don’t know if it’s water quality, or the lights. I’m running 3 radions and at their peak intensity is only 63%. But that could be too much or not enough. I’m renting a par meter today from rca to determine if I have them on too high or maybe not high enough. My nems Love high light, and they haven’t been fully open yet. But some of the shrooms are stretched like they aren’t getting enough. 🤷‍♀️. I’ll post back with my par meter readings

• Like 1

I like API too for the same reason.  :)  I replace test kits at least yearly to avoid the issue of reagents going bad early and always test the old kit against the new kit to be sure there's no variation.   Also keep in mind individual species have preferences of blue, white or red.  It's a bit more involved but checking each channel (spectrum) might provide an idea why some don't look happy.

• Like 1