Light left on too long?

RicordeaFreak

I'm not too sure if this is the right area for this question.

I unfortunately left the light on overnight this past Saturday on my 20g and didn't notice until Sunday morning. Total time on would be about ~18 hours

I normally run the lights on a timer from 5pm to 12 midnight, but turned them on early Saturday to work on the tank. Sunday morning upon finding the light still on I shut it off and turned the timer back on auto mode. When the lights came back on later on Sunday most of the corals looked a bit upset as I figured they would. However yesterday when I got home I noticed everything seemed to be perking back up except the stylocoeniella. All its polyps retracted and have yet to come back out. I checked back up on it later before lights out and still no polyps are showing. I don't see any discoloration of the tissue, or pieces of tissue missing.

Has anyone else ever left their lights on too long? Any advice on what I should do if anything would be greatly appreciated. It might just need more time to recover, but i'm a bit worried about it.

Thanks in advance.

One day shouldn't be much of an issue for most corals that are acclimated and growing with your current light setup.  It might be enough to slow down growth on some animals over the next month or so if you're tracking that closely.  FYI 3-4 days constant light is enough to kill some animals and set others back for weeks.

I accidentally left my lights on my old tank overnight (MHs) and noticed a little change in the corals color/PE, but nothing drastic.

Best thing IMO would be to just go back to your normal schedule and leave it be. As long as everything else is stable...everything should turn around sooner than later. Trying to change things all of a sudden might just make things worse.

On 2/15/2018 at 7:41 AM, Timfish said:

One day shouldn't be much of an issue for most corals that are acclimated and growing with your current light setup.  It might be enough to slow down growth on some animals over the next month or so if you're tracking that closely.  FYI 3-4 days constant light is enough to kill some animals and set others back for weeks.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:30 PM, Reefpuck said:

I accidentally left my lights on my old tank overnight (MHs) and noticed a little change in the corals color/PE, but nothing drastic.

Best thing IMO would be to just go back to your normal schedule and leave it be. As long as everything else is stable...everything should turn around sooner than later. Trying to change things all of a sudden might just make things worse.

Thank you both for responding, I'm just getting around to reading these. It took 5 days before it finally opened back up, it seems to have lost a little of its color, but the polyps are back out and open. I ended up just getting the lights back on their normal schedule and waiting it out.

Archived