Gluing Dead Rocks together. Info Appreciated

Chato

Hello All. This weekend I am going to be fusing about 20 lbs of dead rock together. Before I start I was wondering what is the best method or glue to use? I have purchased some Loctite PL Premium which is a Polyurethane Construction Adhesive which is water resistant. I also picked up some Locktite PL PL375 which is a water resistant adhesive as well. Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated. From the research I have already done I was just advised to stay away from kitchen & bath products because of the chemicals used for the mildew resistance isn't good for the livestock.

I have decided against epoxies and have chosen Quikrete Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement. It is a cement derived from a Portland type cement that consists mostly of a limestone base. I found a good article from the Delaware Reef Club and have included a excerpt below. The mortar turns into a putty like substance and has the ability to cure in and out of water. It is also aquarium safe.

White portland cement is made from raw materials containing little or no iron or manganese. (The substances that give gray cement its color.) Thorite often used in online articles is hydraulic cement that will have a faster cure time. Commonly branded as Quikcrete, it cost more the typical type II Portland, but the cure time is faster. Certified for use in wells and cisterns, it is safe for aquarium use. The water-stop cement isn't different from standard portland as far as porosity goes. The property that makes this product ideal for waterproofing is the quick setting time and the ability to place it on a wet area, and it will still cure. Polymer-modified mixtures (sealbond) are also stronger, bond better, with no shrinkage or cracking. None of these features alter the pore structure of the mix. The basic difference in these mixes is rapid setting mixtures can be used in a couple of days, with no PH swings, while standard portland mixes require a month dry curing and a month of wet curing (purging).

My only real question is why all this effort? I've never glued any of my rocks together. Thoughtful planning and testing made sure it was all locked together in the tnak. The only person I know that has a problem with their aquascaping is MarkC, but then again he is Mark. Most everything he does turns out badly.

I recently bought 27lbs of dead rock. It contained many small and medium pieces and I am making some of those pieces into the shape and size I want. It beats going all over town to find the exact rocks I am looking for. That and if it works I can make some pretty sweet designs in the tank.