Will a Nano work?

Wippit

The Boss is fully supportive of me building any setup I want. However, we need to put in new carpets and tile, and she pointed out that it would be prudent to do that before I put two thousand pounds of water and glass in place. Logical. I had to agree. We also need to repaint the interior of the house. That should be done before new floors are put in. Logical again. So now I have to wait to put together a system until after the walls and floors are done, and who knows how long that will be.

But I had an idea. I've always been captivated by the clown and anemone symbiotic relationship. I see that Petsmart (of all places!) has all tanks on sale for 20% off, and they stock the 14 and 29g Oceanic Nanos. Would it be possible for a system like this to support a pair of clowns and something like a bubble anemone?

Questions:

- Is this feasible?

- One thing I noticed was that the stock lighting would have to be upgraded, since it's only ~2w per gallon. Is it possible to upgrade this and other systems that might need it? Would other systems need to be included or upgraded.

- Is it possible to purchase a mated pair of clowns along with an invert that they're already hosting, and if so would that relationship survive a transplant?

- I'd much rather support a LFS or individual selling a tank/gear if the price is reasonably close. Anyone know of someone with this kind of equipment for sale?

Yes this is possible.

Not sure the 14 would work long term but the 28 should be fine (with as you say better lighting).

I have a pair of ocellaris in a 34 Solana that lay eggs regularly. They were purchased as a pair with the BTA they host and had no issues with being moved.

• Like 1

Questions:

- Is this feasible?

- One thing I noticed was that the stock lighting would have to be upgraded, since it's only ~2w per gallon. Is it possible to upgrade this and other systems that might need it? Would other systems need to be included or upgraded.

- Is it possible to purchase a mated pair of clowns along with an invert that they're already hosting, and if so would that relationship survive a transplant?

- I'd much rather support a LFS or individual selling a tank/gear if the price is reasonably close. Anyone know of someone with this kind of equipment for sale?

- Yes it is possible to do what you want in a nano tank.

- For lighting upgrades I would check Nano Customs.

- I have seen people and sites selling anemones with a hosting clown fish. Though a mating pair that is also hosting would be difficult to find, there was some for sale on these forums recently.

• Like 1

We went in to reefing after the wife visited the local Petco. However I went to Aquatek and got the JBJ 29g Nano with stand to use as a starter/learning experience and provide a start for a larger tank(s). From what I read on this site and others, I don't see why a smaller Nano can't handle what you want as long as you go thru the cycling process first and don't overload the tank with other livestock. Understand the delay frustration, as we are going thru it too. Been without a kitchen since right after Thanksgiving. Which has delayed the other home improvements we had in the works (including setting up a 120 show tank). Makes life interesting.

wayneb

• Like 1

Hey Wayne, aren't you supposed to be at work? :lol: (We work at the same place)

That brings up the question I was about to add: is there anything special about Oceanic's nanos? Other brands are out there for less.

And a side note: I'm willing to be very patient once I get some water in a tank. My plan for the large tank is to set it up with a gigantic refugium and let them run for a few months before putting anything in it. It's getting to the starting point that's eating at me.

Nanos are good :lol:

In fact, there's plenty of people with sub 10 gallon tanks with a pair of clowns, anemones may be difficult if they've got long tentacles, but clowns can spawn on other things too and perhaps a smaller tentacled variety would be a good choice in a nano.

For lighting upgrades, nano customs is basically THE place for upgraded lighting hoods and has a good selection of DIY parts. If you're looking to loose the hood, there's some T5HO and clip on Halide options which are good alternatives as well. There's fewer options in LED lighting, but the DIY option isn't a fairly difficult one and it is well documented, while a standard lamp with a LED bulb in the right spectrum and with wide optics could make the housing a piece of cake.

Take a look at the site www.nano-reef.com , they have a fair amount of articles tailored to how nanos typically work, lots of sections for nano-specific questions (what lighting options, how to DIY, what makes good stocking in a nano), and a section of member's aquariums ranging from about half a gallon to the 50s or so.

• Like 1

As far as tanks go IMO its all preference. I plan on keeping a pair of ocellaris in my AOI 10 gallon that i constructed, as long as you keep up with cleaning and WC's you should be fine.

And as far as lighting goes, I would just pick up a Coralife 150w clip on and stick that on whatever you end up with, Great little light, I love mine.