What kind of anemone is this?

o0zarkawater

Well, at least its not any type of aiptasia I've ever seen.

I got 65lbs of the liverock Wryknow was selling when he took down his tank, very Aiptasia infected. I've had it in its own tank for a couple weeks now to clean it up before putting it in my 55 gallon. I noticed one of these guys way back when I first got it, but didn't think anything of it. Now I have several of them in there.

Does it look familiar to anyone? Should I zap them with Aiptasia-X too?

I tried googling "ball tip anemone" and several variations, but always came up with bubble tip. Also searched for clear/glass anemones, but didn't find anything similar.

Not the best pics, but my camera really doesn't want to focus on it. If it means anything, I see more of them at night when I look in the tank with a flashlight than during the day.

This one is about the size of a dime, maybe a nickel with his arms out. The biggest one I have is maybe the size of a quarter with his arms out.

Click for verybig

img7336.th.jpg

img7333.th.jpg

Thanks in advance!

i cant remeber what the name is but it is an anemone and its not considered harmful i have some in my tank so i seeked an answer, look at live rock hitch hickers, u will figure out what a lot of things are on youre rock and will have u looking for other things , the anemone can come in different color tints I have seen orange and green

thats not Majano

pseudocorynactis

Thanks! I'm positive this guy is what it is!

I'll leave them for now, it doesn't seem like they get out of control, and are not all that common. So it will be something interesting to look at.

Thanks guys.

I think they're pretty cool. Let me know if they spread and how fast, might be a cool thing to add to a tank.

Well, I won't be adding the rock to my main tank for another month or so yet, so hopefully they can hang on until then. Since I am trying to kill off all the Aiptasia on the rock, I am not putting any foods into the tank to help keep the peppermints up on their game.

But from what I've seen the past couple nights when I was looking in the tank with a flashlight, I have 5-6 of them. I don't know how easy they would be to remove, but once they do get larger, I may give some away.

I believe lost an Acro frag to one of these things - didn't notice it growing on the frag base, and I'm guessing it stung it. There was no other bobvious reason for the frag to die so suddenly. Keep an eye on it...

Anything that sheds its hard outer protective layer millions of years ago has to be pretty badass.

• 3 years later...

Archived