Thinning Out Mushrooms

Derek

I have a rock that is covered in mushrooms. They are so thick that a lot of them are starting to pull themselves up and move around. Is there a way to thin them out? I was thinking of taking an exacto blade to the rock but haven't yet since I don't know a whole lot about fragging these things.

If you cut just the cap off of the rock a new mushroom will grow back in a couple of weeks, you would have to scrape it off completely to keep that from happening. Sometimes when they are crowded they will let go and float around the tank looking for a new home.

My red mushrooms are doing the same thing. In the last month they've been budding like crazy.

Is it better to thin them or just let them sort their own issues out? A few of the really big ones are shading out the babies.

Will hairy mushrooms extend a foot and bud like regular mushrooms?

Liz

If you cut just the cap off of the rock a new mushroom will grow back in a couple of weeks, you would have to scrape it off completely to keep that from happening. Sometimes when they are crowded they will let go and float around the tank looking for a new home.

One of the larger ones let go. I gave it to CrazyJ. I found a small one floating in the tank yesterday. It looks like they are starting to bud. Looks like I will be thinning these puppies out. I'd rather them not take over my entire tank or spread beyond the rock that they are on.

think this might be right up your alley

I've seen this video before. I like this guy. He looks a lot like a guy I work with. Do you happen to known if Rhodactus mushrooms are toxic at all? Thankfully the rock they are on can be removed easily without causing too many problems, I just don't want to end up with red hands or barfing.

One of the larger ones let go. I gave it to CrazyJ. I found a small one floating in the tank yesterday. It looks like they are starting to bud. Looks like I will be thinning these puppies out. I'd rather them not take over my entire tank or spread beyond the rock that they are on.

Exactly why I gave some of mine away last week. I have them on an island but once they start sending out babies I trim them back and give them away.