Some kind of sponge?

skyfreak73

Howdy folks,

I have a couple of white, fuzzy growths in my live rock similar to the one pictured here:

DSCF2176.jpg

I have quite a few of these growing inside my sump. From another forum where I found this picture, someone identified this as a type of sponge, but no one said what kind. Does anyone have any info they care to share?

TIA.

Scypha sponge

This is a harmless Scypha sponge. They are very small, and usually found in our overflow boxes and down in the sump. Attached to rock, glass or acrylic or even your plumbing, they may be about the size of a grain of rice or perhaps larger, like Debi's above. These little filter-feeders are reef-safe.

------- Melevsreef.com ------

Edited by versace

Scypha sponge

This is a harmless Scypha sponge. They are very small, and usually found in our overflow boxes and down in the sump. Attached to rock, glass or acrylic or even your plumbing, they may be about the size of a grain of rice or perhaps larger, like Debi's above. These little filter-feeders are reef-safe.

------- Melevsreef.com ------

Thanks.