stupidest thing i have ever done...

diabeetus

a few weeks ago i was trying to block my snowflake eel from getting into the rear compartment of my biocube. well the awesome plexi-glass cover i made for it was a little too snug.

that being said, water was coming out faster than it was going in and since it couldn't pour into the back, it flooded, getting all my outlets and every plug on both power strips soaked.

time being, i had no idea it was even flooding and i went back to unplug my power head so i could do a water change and got the shock of my life!!! WWWOOOO!

after falling to the ground, and wondering what the heck just happened, i am now very cautious about where i put my power strips. and i also made some vent holes in the Plexiglas glass cover, small enough the eel cant get back there but big enough that water can easily drain if needed. :doh:

I'm glad you're not seriously hurt, but I think you should definitely consider installing a GFCI. They're simple to install (just make sure you kill the power before you install :doh:!) They don't cost more than about $10-20, but they'll keep you from getting shocked! Also, as a bonus, a GFCI also provides protection for any outlets "downstream."

--

My stupidest aquarium moment was when I had my first SW aquarium... 12 years ago. I had a non submersible water heater that fell into the tank. It killed my fish... after it overheated my tank ~100 degrees.

Daniel

seconding the GFCI. You don't even have to install one. You can get a GFCI "power strip" These are an absolute must where you have water and electricity together. Next time it might not just be an annoying shock. You can be killed.

My stupidest one was recent. I calibrated my refractometer wrong, so it was reading about .02 high. I was wondering why the local stores had everything at 1.030 and snails would die immediately when I put them in the tank. Fish were fine, though. (my tank was 1.010)

broken heater when doing water changes. I had my heater in my sump and did not turn off my return when I did a water change. I did not notice that it went dry and filled the tank back with water.. Needless to say, now I have a shatter-proof heater in a constant section of my sump

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be the stupidEST thing I've done, but I've done it so often that it gets a cumulative high rank on the stupid list.

Doing a water change, I start taking water out either without turning off the main pump or the auto top off pump so I'm halfway through siphoning into a 5 Gal bucket and the top off starts dumping fresh water into the sump, or the sump pump starts sucking air. So I'm struggling to hold the top of the siphon in the tank, and keep the bottom of it in the bucket while stretching to reach under the tank to switch off the pumps. Why do I do this to myself?