Hammer Coral Help

Ulade

I have a hammer coral that recently started to decline. It now has some brown spots on it and I have no idea what it is or if I can correct the problem. Nothing else in the tank seems to be having any issues. I do weekly water changes (5 Gal for a 30 Gal Tank) and I buy my water. I also perform a weekly water test to ensure chemicals are good. I have since moved the hammer coral to the sandbed and it appears to have helped some as it is larger than it has been but it is nothing like it was about a month ago. I have had this piece of coral for about 3 months now.

Pics Below (sorry not the greatest with a camera yet)

post-841-12505657998911_thumb.jpg

post-841-12505658152571_thumb.jpg

Just my personal observations but my euphelia seems to like a flow to make it wave a little but not flail. Too much or little current seem to affect it detrimentally. If you have pc lighting I would imagine just about any location would be fine; maaaybe a little lower for T5. In any case my guess is current is much more important than light position, unless you are just burning it up with halides. Just a hunch, but I also am imagining that if my coral is in a water column that will bring it a little food occasionally, all the better. HTH

Bill

Thanks for the suggestion. I just added a second power head this weekend when I moved the coral and I have noticed that it has gotten bigger the last couple of days. I am running the stock lighting in my biocube. The thing that worries me the most are the brown spots. They are new and just appeared about two weeks ago. Up until then the coral had quite a bit of color that has since faded.

I don't have any suggestions about brown spots unless they are flatworms. Flatworms are little almost flesh colored circles about 1/8" and irregularly round. These are only harmfull in that they block surface area and ability of gather as much 'sun'. They tend to hang out most on mushrooms and flatish areas.

Bill

Hopefully you don't have it, but read up about "brown jelly". It's been devastating my torch corals and is know to hit hammers as well. It is brown... Search my previous posts for more details on how it's hit my tank and how i've treated for it

Thanks for the help! After hours of surfing and reading about "brown jelly" I think i'm clear of that. From what I have been reading the brown I am seeing is quite possibly some color coming back into the coral since it was pretty transparent and bleached out looking for a while. It has been looking slightly better each day since I moved it to the sand bed. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and keep watching this piece.

Greg

Glad to hear it, the jelly has destroyed all but one head of my torch (crossing my fingers). My hammer is happy and loves lots of flow. Color is generally good, mushy substances on it's flesh are bad.