First time with new T5 bulbs

chark

I am doing my first install of new t5 bulbs and not sure of how to bestproceed. I know I have to be careful so not to burn the coral. I have10 bulbs and was wondering if I should put them all them in or to putthem in slowly. All suggestions would be appreciated.

well how much light ( in watts) have you had on it be for to start off, than add that that much to start off than slowly add lights over time, but keep asking other people that have more experience in lighting than me. but is should help to start I guess.

i think that IMO if the light could be raised and lowered than I would start out probly 14-18 inches above the water level. Then move it down from there.(depending on what light you were previously running) I went from a 4 bulb PC to and 8 bulb T5 fixture along time ago and didnt change anything(height etc). Hope this will help.

I am using the same fixture just new bulbs after 12 months of usage. There are 2 actinic, 2 at 6,500, 4 at 12,000, 2 at 20,000. 54 w each on a 30 inch wide aquarium. The light fixture is hanging from the ceiling and can be raised and lowered. Normally at 8" above the water.

Cecil,

Yes change all the bulbs out at once. Raise the ATI P.M. 8-10 inches higher than normal, and cut your photo-period by 30%. After week one drop the P.M. 4-5 inches and increase the photoperiod by 15%. Do the same on week two and you should be good to go. However I would let your corals tell you what's going on. If they start to bleach out raise the P.M. back up and cut back on the photoperiod. Enjoy you new lights! BTW what combo did you go with?

Clint that sounds like a great plan. I was hoping to get an answer from you. Here is what I did.

Front:

ATI Aquablue special

Geisman Midday

UVL Super Actinic

ATI Aquablue special

ATI Blue Plus

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Aquablue special

UVL Super Actinic

GE Midday

ATI Aquablue special

Back:

The color is slightly too yellow. Would like 12k to 14k look.

What do you think about:

Front:

ATI Aquablue special

ATI Blue Plus

UVL Super Actinic

ATI Blue Plus

Geisman Midday

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Aquablue special

UVL Super Actinic

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue special

Back:

All I need to do is buy 2 ATI Blue Plus.

I would not change all the bulbs at ones. I would do one or 2 a week, and let the coral in the tank adjust to the new lights and the new spectrum the lights are putting out.

Archived