Sump location and plumbing

NonSequitur

So yesterday I picked up a sump, return pump, and skimmer. I was putting everything together last night, and realized if I put the sump inside my stand I wouldn't be able to service any of the contents without draining and moving the tank.. the sump fits in the stand, but just barely. So now I'm thinking of putting the sump outside of the stand, out of sight behind a sofa (about 3ft from the tank). Would running the line from the HOB overflow diagonally (I didn't measure the angle, but I'm thinking as steep as I can manage) from the bottom of the overflow to the top of the sump make a huge difference in the amount of water that can flow through the line? Would it be worth adding a second overflow? Would it be better to run the line vertically to the height of the sump, then elbow and run horizontally? Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do that I'm not thinking of?

Yes, I'll be able to get to it there easily by moving the couch. In the stand I couldn't get to it at all, couldn't get the skimmer collection cup out, couldn't get the pumps out. I'm thinking of putting some sort of catch pan like they put under a/c units with a switch to turn off the pumps if there is a leak.. hopefully that, combined with plenty of headroom and siphon breaks on the return pipes will prevent an overflow, but it's a little scary having that much water in the house.

Absolutely.. I remember seeing in your tank construction blog that you had put one of those in and was just about to go back and look to see which one it was. Hopefully I'll never have to hear it go off, but it'll be good insurance having it there.

So yesterday I picked up a sump, return pump, and skimmer. I was putting everything together last night, and realized if I put the sump inside my stand I wouldn't be able to service any of the contents without draining and moving the tank.. the sump fits in the stand, but just barely. So now I'm thinking of putting the sump outside of the stand, out of sight behind a sofa (about 3ft from the tank). Would running the line from the HOB overflow diagonally (I didn't measure the angle, but I'm thinking as steep as I can manage) from the bottom of the overflow to the top of the sump make a huge difference in the amount of water that can flow through the line? Would it be worth adding a second overflow? Would it be better to run the line vertically to the height of the sump, then elbow and run horizontally? Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do that I'm not thinking of?

in my experience no. I had a big sump a few feet from a tank a year ago and i didnt have problems with flow. You do lose some energy but i never noticed it being anything to gripe about. Just be sure its done well because I made the mistake of half-a#@ it and a pipe came loose and water everywhere.

That's a good point.. I was trying to decide if I wanted to do solvent welded pvc or flexible tubing.. flexible will be easier to work with, less measuring and cutting, no elbows and such, but I've put together enough pvc to know that a properly welded joint will hold way better than a hose clamp.

No pics yet, I'm going to have to go back to HD tomorrow to get a few more parts. I got home with the parts and realized that the thread on the fitting doesn't match the thread on the pump, so I'll have to rethink that part. I do have a barb style fitting that will work in a pinch, but I'd rather stay with solvent welded fittings if I can.

I ended up using 1.25" spa-flex flexible pvc for the line from the overflow.. it didn't end up quite as diagonal as I was hoping, but so far it seems to work. Due to some pump trouble (possibly seized impeller, it's soaking in RO water now to see if that'll free it) I'm only running a rio 1400 for my return, which has pretty pathetic flow but at least it shows that everything works. Because of the difference in pump size I went with .75" braided poly tubing from the pump to the risers for the return (didn't want to cut/glue more pvc when that pump's there temporarily).

Here are a few photos. I'm going to clean it up later, fasten the return pvc to the stand, but it's great to have it actually flowing.

First, here's the sump in it's new home, with the skimmer running and filter floss where the bio-balls would go to help silence the falling water (my wife didn't like how loud it was. I'll probably end up building a box to put it in to silence it)

gallery_915_130_297148.jpg

Here's the overflow running into 1.25" spa-flex.

gallery_915_130_413152.jpg

Return risers:

gallery_915_130_85174.jpg

Skimmer in action, but apparently nothing to remove yet:

gallery_915_130_217363.jpg