Christian's fish list

Christian

Ok well I'm listing what fish I want to put into both my 55g tank and my 29g bio-cube and tell me if the work and if I can put more fish into each tank.

55G tank eventually will have.

1 pink and blue spotted goby

2 purple fire fish

2 clowns

2 cardinal fish

1 royal gramma basslet

29G tank

2 clowns

1 goby

2 seahorses

1 green clown goby

Hey Christian!!

I breed and raise seahorses...I have 2 pair in a 30g tank...ONLY!!...they can not compete for food with faster swimmers like clown fish...maybe the gobies will work as I had a mandarin in with them before. I even had to pull some of the hermit crabs and snails as the nassarius were even beating them to their PE Mysis shrimp. They are very slow and meticulous eaters. They have their snick and need to digest between each one. I do have plenty of corals, like blastos, acans, mushrooms and ricordias...but nothing that can gobble my babies when they are born. I hope this helps and let me know where you decide to get your seahorses from. I recommend ORA as they are the healthiest I have ever seen. They are tank raised and ready to eat frozen mysis.wink.gif

Laura

For some more info on sea horse care http://www.seahorse.com/.

Hate to admit it but this website convinced me not to get seahorse until I could dedicate a tank to them. I wanted to do a seahorse refugium but that just does not seem to work out.

Yeah...having seahorses is a full commitment...they need to be feed twice a day, resting on the 7th day, and they need excellent water quality. But I do enjoy mine thoroughly...I don't want to jinx it, but I have a baby that is over a month old...reidi are IMPOSSIBLE to keep alive and I have lost hundreds within 5 spawnings...I just had another batch born 4 days ago, and might have something survive....I am using a new method of green water and BBS...I will not give up!! wink.gif

I know he gobys like the warmer water.. and the seahorses like the cooler water.. will it cause a problem? i noticed with my pink spotted goby when the tank is cooler shes not active. when it warms up in the day shes very active.. now i have the chiller and i think im gonna have to warm it up a bit more cause shes not very active.. at 76 or 77 shes not active and at 77.5-81 shes very active.. just what i have noticed.. and talking to Andy is the only reason i would know that the seahorses like the cooler water never researched them or anything..

All of my experience in seahorses is just from research. So for what its worth IANASHO. Horsies seem to like temps that max out around 76 degrees where most reefs floor at that temperature. Especially a SPS "shallow water" type reef you generally want 78-80.* So for seahorses you really want a seagrass or deep reef type biotope. Not the shallow SPS level. Also, different species have slightly different needs. Read the forums on seahorses.com and you will either decide that you love the little critters enough to go through with a dedicated biotope or you'll decide not to keep them :) WetWebMedia also has a great FAQ on the horsies.

Also seahorses really want a tall type tank. So a 55 tall instead of a 40 breeder.

That being said Aquatec has a shallow clam tank for thier horsies so there you go.

*Yes I know there is a lot of debate. I am simplifying here. These are just the general "the animal is happiest at this temp" numbers I have found. Please don't argue that you have this one species of acropora that thrives in either 60degree or 90 degree water.

Congrats Mama! If you start selling future generations please LMK.

Oh boy!! I sure will...I am scared to death to leave them over my vacation...but my older son will come and tend to them...I check on the oldest pony at least 10 times a day...I have already had die-off from the most recent batch...totally normal and expected...like they say, if you get 1 out of 50 to live, you did good!! Let us pray...

Laura

is 75 a good temp. for seahorses because that is what my bio-cube runs at all the time.

good luck on your seahorses mama.

Thanks Christian!!!

Wow...I'm surprised you can keep a BioCube at 75 degrees as mine runs so warm...my seahorses are thriving at 78 degrees and I have not found temperature to be too much of a factor. Keeping it cooler will sure help...It is making sure they are eating enough and having a good snick that presents a problem sometimes...that's why I recommend ORA seahorses only. I had purchased 9 from another "vendor" and lost every one due to vibrio. I did have one from ORA that was not eating well and she could not figure it out, but I trained her to follow the others and she got it!! I did train my horses to be fed on the right side of the tank and they follow me every morning. I use PE mysis only as that has the most protein. If you do ever venture into horses Christian, please give me a heads up and I'll be sure to help you wink.gif

Laura

What does this mean? I have seen you talk about it before.

A snick is how they "snap" for their food...it needs to be strong and precise...you can hear it through the glass!! It sounds like Rice Krispies in my tank when the 4 of them eat!!laugh.gif

A snick is how they "snap" for their food...it needs to be strong and precise...you can hear it through the glass!! It sounds like Rice Krispies in my tank when the 4 of them eat!!laugh.gif

Ah.. that makes sense. So they snick snacks :)

hrmmm seahorse tank.. how big does the tank have to be for horses? they would be cool to have. i can run the chiller into the horse tank then on to the main tank and that would keep it cool. kinda like i suggested with Dustin and the DIY chiller.. Could i do a 5g? or 10g

Don't get dwarf horses...they can only eat BBS and you will be forever hatching these things...I have raised only the reidis and they were ordered through River City Aquatics...they were ORA's...I have not purchased or looked at seahorses anywhere else because I am happy with the 2 pair I have. Just ask the LFS to feed them in front of you to see that they eat and look and listen for a good snick...yes, they snicks their snacks Jameswink.gif ORA seahorses are not inexpensive...they cost $110 a piece, but they are the hardest and most adaptive lil guys...I have seen different opinions on tank size...I personally started a pair off in a 14g BioCube...for me, too small...they need more height and I like to give them breathing room. You can do a search on youtube and see other set ups...I have plenty of hitching posts for their prehensile tails...I'll post some pix in the morningsmile.gif