The dreaded cyano?

Robb in Austin

Is this the dreaded enemy?

post-371-12494280334138_thumb.jpg

post-371-12494280500784_thumb.jpg

I fired off an email to the Wet Web Media folks to get their input. It looks like what they call Cyano and/or blue green algae. Though clearly it's not blue or green.

Curiously enough, it only showed up after the GHA has decreased. I also noticed some Calupera popping back up.

I did a search for "pink fuzzy algae" and got a lot of hits as it being Cyano. I didn't believe it so I went to WWB and found this:

"Perhaps to consider that this "stuff"(what the OP called cotton candy) is actually a Cyanobacteria... not likely to be consumed by the snails... more easily defeated over time through competition, conditions that favor Thallophytes. Bob Fenner"

After searching through all their ID pages, what I have <looks> like what they always call cyano/BGA. Figured I'd ask here also to get a local response.

I did find a thread on RC, with pics that look a lot like what I have, and reports on the thread indicate Mexican turbos will mow it down.

Anyone got a microscope? May help with ID.

Is this the dreaded enemy?

post-371-12494280334138_thumb.jpg

post-371-12494280500784_thumb.jpg

I fired off an email to the Wet Web Media folks to get their input. It looks like what they call Cyano and/or blue green algae. Though clearly it's not blue or green.

Curiously enough, it only showed up after the GHA has decreased. I also noticed some Calupera popping back up.

w/e it is, it's pretty smile.gif

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/pink_cotton_algae.html

Edited by Obiji

Well, the reply I got back from WWM is that it is BGA/Cyano.

I pointed out the reefcleaners site as well as Melev's ID page, curious to see what they say about that.

I plucked that big chunk off, as well as some other pieces, and will get a few snails too.

This stuff is similar in some ways to bryopsis in that you cannot starve it out or block it out with light. Once you have it, you have to be very careful in removing it.... it is easy to spread. It is also opportunistic in finding a food source. With its fuzzy appearance, it can easily trap nutrients.