Live Rock Aquascaping

Obiji

I just read on another forum that Great Stuff breaks down under uv light. Supposedly Dow (the maker of Great Stuff) suggests their "waterfall and pond foam sealant", which is fish friendly.

So, would you use this foam as a way of glueing an aquascape together (like in between the live rock pieces)?

Stephen

I dont believe i would use great stuff at all in my tank. no one know if their are any long term effects.. I posted a thread on DIY rock. collectively the forum came up with a rock wall molded with the DIY rock.. i believe thats a better option. i have a buddy that made his rock and its been more than 6 months and its completely colored up..

So I ended up going with a more open rockscape design using two big bridges. You can check it out in the DIY thread. I used pond sealent to cover over pieces of PVC that were visible and to "glue" in pieces of rock to cover gaps. Then sprinkled it with dry sand and put in some rubble to give it a better color and texture.

The foam stuff is a PITA to work with. It dribbles everywhere and really is not good for sticking to verticle walls. I would like to see what could be done with some more time that I just did not have (getting live sand tomorrow.) I could think of a lot of methods that you could use to form the foam. I also was trying to find some type of paint on superglue to help attach the sand to the foam better. That being said, where it works it works really well. For filling gaps and covering the PVC it was fantastic.