Live Rock Aquascaping

Obiji

Hey again everyone. So I've been shuffling around the board and noticed some interesting rock layouts. Do you have a picture of yours? I'de like to see it. (Plus I could use some ideas on how to layout my rock when I setup my tank). I know every layout is different and unique, but it will spawn some brainstorming on my layout (after I know what kind of rock I will have LOL)

yeah.. i like the first one too, but i wanted to have more room for future corals. As well as lots of nooks and crannies for the fishies. The hardest part of aquascaping the new rock i received was that some of the pieces were huge! i had one rock weigh 24 lbs! I might try to move some stuff around next week, but we'll have to see.. I'm pretty lazy. haha

i've seen online how some people use 1/4" and make a geometric frame which they use to stack rocks on. I've also seen some people create a base using pvc and elbows, while having pegs come up off the base using like a corner like coupling. Then they stack the rock on the top of the peg. Do a google search on aquascaping or check out reefcentral.. lot's of diy projects out there.

I know some one who used PVC and the plastic grid for lights. Then used Spary foam to form her aquascape. Others have glued acrylic rods to PVC. Then made pillars by drilling holes in the rocks.

I might suggest you drill some random small holes (the size of the peg on a frag plug) in your work. You will be glad you did.

Dave-

Yes, I'v e heard you either need to fill with RO and completely seal it or make sure there are lots of holes. I was actually thinking of going a step further and make lots of little holes (need to do so anyways to tie the zip ties in) and then hook up a Maxi-1200 to the whole assembly. Then I both avoid dead spots in the assembly and in my rockwork. I'm really trying to avoid foam if possible as I have read a lot of accounts where the foam breaks down after some time and floats around the tank or gets eaten by CUC.

I've seen a lot of reviews on the black can great stuff foam. I was wondering if there was a pond/marine specific product out there. I think I will look into it. Thanks for the lead.

Edit: Found this stuff for ponds. Since its for outdoor use it should hold up better than great stuff which is UV sensitive.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=290094-48650-WFFS&detail=&lpage=none

I haven't found it in town anywhere, but it's available on the website. It's called "Pond and Stone", green can. I talked to the mgr at HD and he said they don't stock it. Ace Hardware claims to carry it

amazon.com

ace hardware

The Dow Chemical Company is helping to bring nature back into your yardwith GREAT STUFF™ Pond & Stone Waterfall Foam Filler. Pond &Stone can be shaped and molded to create exquisite water features thathelp direct water flow over and around rocks in a waterfall, ratherthan under and in between. The black color allows it to blend amongrocks and shadows and can fill, seal and adhere to other pieces. Theproduct is fish safe and recognized by the International ProfessionalPond Contractors Association. Like other products in the GREAT STUFFfamily, Pond & Stone Waterfall Foam Filler creates a permanent,airtight and water-resistant seal. A quicker and less expensive optionthan mortar, GREAT STUFF Pond & Stone Waterfall Foam Filler canalso be used to set and secure the cap stones in a retaining wall. Theblack polyurethane foam is designed to bond to rocks and stones.

Looks like Beckett and Savio each makes it also

beckett

Savio

Archived