newb with some sump questions

lewk

Hello! Brand spankin new here and getting my set up going this week. Really appreciate all the good info on this board so far. My first (probably one of many) question is about setting up my sump, I'm not really sure which side is best for the drain and which side is best for the return. I'm attaching a really crude MS Paint sketch of the sump I have. There is a bubble trap on the right side of the image, and another low wall off to the left. I was under the impression that it's best to have the bubble trap right before the return, but the person I bought it from said I'd want it on the other side, since the wall is lower and I wouldn't have to worry as much about evaporation there. I'm going to put a skimmer in the middle section. So...which side works better, A or B? That is assuming I can get a pump into a section that is 4 inches wide.

Also...what's everyone's opinion on using chemical filtration in a sump? Is it not necessary?

Thanks in advance.

I always setup mine from left to right 1st chamber is return and skimmer the skimmer flows into the second chamber then goes through the bubble trap to the return chamber with the pump.. i bubble trap should go right before the pump. atleast thats how i always had it..