Two new members, soon to be 3!

Obiji

Hello everyone, I'm David. My wife also created a profile (her name is Corey), and we have a third future SWF lover coming, her name is going to be Kylee and she is 4 months away from joining us (Nov. 26th). My wife and I are new to the hobby, however, we have been researching all of this for the last three years. I've just finally landed a job that will allow me to afford it smile.gif (As we all know it can be pricey :-D) I have a 46 Gallon Bow-Front tank (Yay Petsmart) That has been in my garage unused for about 4 years now. I've had the plans/ambition, just not the $$$. We are now getting ready to get it all started. I've found a good place for my tank in my house, and come paycheck #1 we will be going to get 40 lbs of live sand. If anyone else knows where we can get starter stuff like sand and live rock for cheap, let me know smile.gif I do not have ambitions for a reef tank just yet. I figure I would like to get the nitrogen cycle good and set for about 2 months, then start on some fish. Once I have the fish in place and my tank is stable, I will then start to consider the equipment needed for reef upkeep. It will be a pleasure to meet all of you. Speaking of which, when is the next meeting. We would love to meet you all and learn more!

Sincerely,

David

Welcome and congratulations on the new addition to the family. Same here, from Leander....Yeah! Seems like you're off to a great start by doing...(research, research, research)... also check the "for sale and trade" threads for great finds.

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. We'll be getting our tank up and running as soon as we can :) Though I have changed my plans and I will be doing coral too :-D

I do have one quick question, I have a single bulb T8 Lamp, will this be sufficient for "some" coral? I understand many require MH lighting, but at the cost of that lighting, it will be a while for me to get some. Current Lamp is an eclipse F30T8 30 watt, 36in T8, 26K Natural Daylight.

Welcome! smile.gif

To answer your question, that might be sufficient enough for some soft corals such as Mushrooms, Zoanthids, etc.

Cool, thanks for the info :-D I dont suppose you have a full list of soft corals that my light could handle do you? Or maybe a better list would be some that it cant :-D

I think you are pretty much going to need to stick to mushrooms, xenia and zoanthids. There are a few corals that don't require lights at all (sun polyps and carnations come to mind) but those require lots of feeding so can overload your filtration pretty easily. You may want to consider going into feather dusters as an animal as well. They also require a lot of feeding but not too much light.

Keep your eye out on the for sale section. You'll see MH pendants come up for sale pretty frequently for great prices. A 150 or 175 would give you enough to move into LPS and some SPS at the top of tank and you see them for 75$ pretty regularly. If you find a 250 or a dual 150 you would be pretty good to go for just about anything. Also might want to consider T5s for the reefer on a budget. Bulbs are pretty cheap and I just saw a 4 strip go for $150 the other day.

Archived