Tank Raised Fish

OgreMkV

I'm not ready for fish yet, but I was wondering about the best places to get tank-raised fish. Everything I've read suggests they are heartier, easier to feed, and generally healthier than wild caught. Not to mention helping to not pull fish out of the oceans.

Anyway, other than the tank-raised section of live-aquaria, do you know of any places that have (local or internet) that carry tank-raised fish?

Thanks

Good question.

I'd imagine any of our sponsors could tell you if their stock is tank-raised and if not, they could get some. I know ORA has a few species, and I know RCA/Aquatek order ORA.

I think most of the on line places I've looked will specify if the fish is tank raised. You'd have to dig around to find them though.

If you read the fish magazines, there are about 4 good ones, they all claim that a lot of the fish we buy are already being farmed. If you follow what they are saying you could probably stock your tank from their lists. Almost every clown fish, many damsels, many cardinals and now even some blennies are being bred and raised in captivity.

Another option is to shop for only MAC certified specimens. They used to be easier to find as when ordered they came with typed up labels for the LFS to display. Sea Dwelling wholesalers are a Mac certified company. The chain from capture to sale is known. Check out Sept 09 Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine for an article titled "From Reef to Retail" for an idea of other ways to be reef friendly. Not every fish has to be tank raised to be "green" many are now being farmed in their native waters using proper conservation methods.

If you are not reading the monthly publications you are missing out as a hobbyist.

Like others said, just ask the LFS. RCA has mentioned to me in the past they get tank raised clownfish in a lot.

But like Mike said, your selection might be somewhat limited to clowns, damsels, etc.

If you read the fish magazines, there are about 4 good ones, ...

If you are not reading the monthly publications you are missing out as a hobbyist.

Which are the 4 good ones. I've liked Coral so far but haven't found those other 3.

Well I mentioned Tropical Fish Hobbyist. You mentioned Coral. I will add FAMA, or Freshwater and Marine Aquariums. There was one put out by one of the Uber hobbyists, I want to say it was called Reef and could be found at Aquatek but there are even more than that.

Archived